using Windows bootcamp partition as virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mroslevich

using Windows bootcamp partition as virtual machine

Post by mroslevich »

Is there any way to be able to take an existing partition on the hard drive, and use it in VirtualBox as a virtual machine?

I dual boot Mac OS 10.3.9 and WinXP SP3 with my work laptop, and its just a pain to reboot and switch OSes to test software and drivers updates before putting them mainstream. I would set up a virtual XP machine, but I don't have an ISO of the image. It's all in Norton Ghost format (.gho)...
vkov_tinsky
Volunteer

Post by vkov_tinsky »

Have a look at HOWTO: manage VDIs and import native installations. There's also Howto: Windows XP in VM and native and although that covers a setup from scratch it does illustrate what will be required.

Regards,
VT
JimBushWhack
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win XP on iMac; Win 7 on MacBook pro + bootcamp

Post by JimBushWhack »

This capability, although stated to be supported, currently does not work in VBox version 2.02. See past entries in the forum entitled "Using a raw hard disk on Mac OS X" (Around Sept 6) and "Raw disk access in Leopard?" (September 20). There was also a defect ticket written up on this as well (ticket #1461). I'm in hopes that this defect is fixed in the next major release of VBox.
jarre

Post by jarre »

is there no easy way to migrate the boot camp partion to VB ?

Whit the two other Programms (yea the ones how cost$) there is easy to migrate the boot camp !!!

thanks
sicnerly
Jarre
JimBushWhack
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win XP on iMac; Win 7 on MacBook pro + bootcamp

Post by JimBushWhack »

Not that I am aware of. The fact that it does not work is the result of bugs in the CLI commands. I wish there was a way to move the fix for this higher on the priority list, or at least find out what the time frame is for getting it fixed. But I don't know of any way to do that.

In meantime, I am using a regular Vbox virtual WinXP image with relatively few problems.