Received a critical error message when trying to install Mojave via Virtual Box within Catalina

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Super Mario

Received a critical error message when trying to install Mojave via Virtual Box within Catalina

Post by Super Mario »

VBox.png
VBox.png (25.68 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
How can I resolve this?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Received a critical error message when trying to install Mojave via Virtual Box within Catalina

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Super Mario

Re: Received a critical error message when trying to install Mojave via Virtual Box within Catalina

Post by Super Mario »

As requested mpac. And thank you for your reply.
VB Mojave-2021-08-24-10-23-01.log.zip
(90.9 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The log shows a triple fault exception.
00:00:11.030652 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'GURU_MEDITATION'
00:00:11.030681 Console: Machine state changed to 'GuruMeditation'
00:00:11.030997 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
00:00:11.030998 !!
00:00:11.030998 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)
00:00:11.031007 !!
00:00:11.031011 !! Skipping ring-0 registers and stack, rcErr=VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT
00:00:11.031013 !!
In my experience this usually means a corrupted boot drive.

Where did the ISO come from? I'm not a Mac user, but it's my understanding that MacOS installs don't typically come in ISO form.

Also VHD format seems like a weird (and poor) choice on a MacOS platform.

It should be said that I'm not entirely certain which drive this VM tries to boot from. Being EFI it isn't necessarily the CD/DVD drive.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Thank you for your analysis. It's appreciated. The installer app came from Apple. I converted it from a .app to .cdr to .iso format, thinking that it's what I needed to do for Virtual Box. I shall retry it as a .cdr instead of an .iso bootable installer. I hope I understood your analysis correctly.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Super Mario wrote:I shall retry it as a .cdr instead of an .iso bootable installer
As far as I know, .cdr and .iso will be the same thing: images of a CD/DVD. The only "conversion" needed would be a file rename.

I'm less concerned with the extension than I am with how the image file was created. I.e. How did you convert an app into a CD image? Please tell me your method, or give me the link to the guide you followed. Hopefully it was this one: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=81443.

Regarding the choice of VHD... Please don't. At some point you will try to install MacOS again, at that time please use the native VDI format of VirtualBox.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Hello mpac. Thank you very much for your analysis and the hyperlinks. I was able to find the right tool and sift through instructions to create a bootable .iso file of Mojave. It installed into Virtual Box but I discoverred that it's just as lagging as Parallels Desktop for Mac. I was happy that I got it installed but disappointment at performance. I really do appreciate your help though. My next step is to try and figure out how to install a Linux base as an extra partition into my iMac. I'm looking into Ubuntu, Manjaro and QEMU but I'm still a newbee at all this virtual "stuff". I will hand on to Virtual Box though for some testing.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Licensing problems ensure that MacOS is not an officially supported guest OS in VirtualBox, but I'm surprised you can't make it run better in Parallels, being a Mac only solution. Very bad performance may indicate a poor VM configuration.