Connecting iPhone to windows VM fails

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
thejack

Connecting iPhone to windows VM fails

Post by thejack »

Hello there!

I have installed VirtualBox 6.1.24 on macOS Big Sur. So far, everything works fine, except for one crucial issue: I cannot USB-forward my iPhone to a Windows VM (32 bit Windows 10 (error "Failed to attach"), neither can I forward it to a virtual macOS 11). I tried it with USB 1, 2 and 3, no change. Other USB devices do forward just fine.
Due to privacy issues, I do not want to upload my whole log, but here is the crucial part:

Code: Select all

TIME REDACTED ERROR [COM]: aRC=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) aIID={872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed} aComponent={ConsoleWrap} aText={Failed to create a proxy device for the USB device. (Error: VERR_READ_ERROR)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-111
I happen to remember that I had done the same thing using Parallels, and there was an extra Pop-Up asking me whether Parallels could access the iPhone (in the typical macOS-security pop-up style). Maybe Apple is a little overprotective of it's stuff here, can this implemented in VirtualBox as well? Or are there any other pointers?

Thank you very much for your time
thejack
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Connecting iPhone to windows VM fails

Post by mpack »

Smart phones often appear as composite devices, so grabbing a single device won't work.

Try creating a file in the USB settings, and make sure it's broad enough to capture anything iPhone related. One useful thing you can do is plug your iPhone into the host then run "VBoxManage list usbhosts", so see what USB devices are present.

And read USB Basics and Troubleshooting.