Only one option to load guest additions after last Vbox upgrade 6.1.26.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Nick is not my name

Only one option to load guest additions after last Vbox upgrade 6.1.26.

Post by Nick is not my name »

Hi,

I am trying to install the upgraded guest additions on Mac OS High Sierra (host) and Win10 (guest) that came with the latest upgrade of Vbox. This upgrade of GA is not allowing me to access my internal Mac camera. I've solved this issue before, but this time I can't seem to fix it as the software looks a bit different this time. I upgraded Vbox to 6.1.26.

When I fixed this issue the last time I installed the GA within the guest Win10. It gave me three possible choices of which I could install it. By trial and error I think the generic one was the correct one, but with this last upgrade it appears the software has changed or perhaps not loaded in correctly. It gives me only one GA option and it appears the wrong one as it won't load my FT internal camera anymore. I am also getting the same issue as last time with my OBS software freezing the whole Window and nothing else could be done.

Do I need a fresh install of VB or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Nick Is Not My Name
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Only one option to load guest additions after last Vbox upgrade 6.1.26.

Post by mpack »

Webcam passthrough is a feature of the host extension pack, not the GAs.
Nick is not my name

mpack, THANK YOU so much! I had downloaded updated and installed Vbox many times over the years and overlooked that you need to install the Extensions pack. Perhaps each time I did I was still using an old version that worked? Or, maybe I just forgot it this last time. It was an easy fix.

Now, I want to follow the protocols of this board. Do I need to start a new post? My OBS still crashes at start up. The whole window freezes. After fixing it before I found that it was installing the correct GA within Win10. However, as mentioned earlier. I don't seem to have an option to choose. I click on guest additions and it automatically asks me to install that software. I do and it still doesn't work. Furthermore. in the past I would go to file explorer and on the left side those options would all be there to find in the explorer. Now, all I see is an option to uninstall what I have. What should I do?

Again, do I need to start a new post? Thanks!

Nick Is Not My Name.
Nick is not my name

Ok. So I was monkeying around trying to fix my not being able to use OBS and now when I load in the Win10 (guest) it disables bluetooth from my host Mac. Hm... any ideas? Thanks.

Nick Is Not My name.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Nick is not my name wrote:now when I load in the Win10 (guest) it disables bluetooth from my host Mac. Hm... any ideas?
Asked and answered many times, especially in this forum.

USB devices (e.g. the bluetooth controller) can't serve multiple masters. If ownership is assigned to the VM then the host will lose the use of it. If the assignment was accidental then make sure that any USB filters created can't match the bluetooth controller.

Regarding the error on startup, please post a screenshot of the error dialog plus a VM log of the session. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Nick is not my name

Solved! Failed to initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported or your graphics drivers....

mpac,
I can imagine how hard it is to answer that same question over and over again! I apologize for that! I did try to avoid posting by reading the manual and searching in this community, but I don't know if it's being tired or wanting to fix it quickly, but I didn't find the right answers and as you know I made it hijack bluetooth. I went back fresh and retraced my steps and my bluetooth on my host Mac is back. I think what confuses me is that I need to read or see info about my specific situation. A lot of times I can't tell if the instructions are generic and I should follow it or I need to find some instructions specifically for my Mac as a host and Win10 as a guest.

Ok. So I will refrain from sending you the log report as I just got a different error after fixing bluetooth that stated, "Failed to initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may need to be updated."

I looked at an old post of mine and I fixed it by installing the "Dxcpl" within Win 10. It takes many steps to install it so I will get back to you later today or as soon as I can get it done.

Yes, your help and the others is definitely needed and appreciated, so please bear with me (us) that are still fumble through with this awesome software.

Nick Is Not My Name
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I suspect this last post of Nick's goes here instead of viewtopic.php?f=22&t=101933&p=495018#p495018
Nick is not my name

My efforts are being stalled a bit. I am trying to install the DXCPL software, but it seems that OBS is not showing up within the DXCPL file to make changes to it. I'm not as familiar with Win10 as I am with Mac OS in order to work around it, but I will resume trying and keep you posted. The installation did work real well last time.
Nick is not my name

I did find a file within the Win10 directory that I installed. It wasn't the same as the demo on youtube, but I thought this might have been usable. The demo on youtube found the shortcut to the OBS app, but I found something else and used it.

i've included in this attachment the log file that was requested earlier. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nick Is Not My Name
Attachments
Win 10 3.9.21. -2021-08-24-19-16-34.log
(125.93 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Nick is not my name

Ok, So I tried it again and I did select the app correctly. The only thing I could think of is that the only choice I'm given is 64 gb and I think it wants me to use the 32 gb version. I also remember from last time I got a popup from the software telling me that it was the wrong gb, so it asked me right then and there to fix it and I did. Still working on it.

Nick Is Not My Name
Nick is not my name

Hi,
I feel sort of abandoned. Perhaps their is no answer to my problem? If I am told that it should work I will continue to pursue it, but if it can't, I will not pursue it any longer.

Thanks,
Nick is not my name
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

One question per topic please.

Also, please bear in mind that there's a limit to how much Windows 10 tuition we can offer - these forums exist to support VirtualBox, not Windows.
Nick is not my name

Re: (Solved)Only one option to load guest additions after last Vbox upgrade 6.1.26.

Hi Everyone,
I guess I am the definition of insanity, because I periodically went back to this issue since August and my last attempt worked! The latest version of OBS does work in the latest version of Win 10 on the latest version of Vbox. LOL. It turns out that their must have been a corrupted file or one of my other apps (in the background was interfering with it from freezing first thing. I installed a new Win 10 .iso on a new VM and a new OBS and it worked! The newly installed GA gave me three options and I picked the right one as I had learned the last time if you pick the wrong one it doesn't work. It was the first one.

I realize OBS is a memory intensive app and you need lots of horsepower for it to work, but I am doing some really basic things on it in my Vbox, which is a lot of fun...for at least me. LOL.

Thanks everyone for your help! I have to mark this as solved! Don't know how, but maybe when I finish this message I will learn.

Thanks,
Nick Is Not My Name