VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH Windows 10 VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
BobOra

VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH Windows 10 VM

Post by BobOra »

macOS 10.14.8
Virtual Box 6.1.26 r145957 (Qt5.6.3)

Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit VM (last updated Windows in the last few weeks)
I use the VM to do Windows administration (AD, Group Policy). I don't store user files of the normal type there.

When I attempt to open the VM from a Saved State, I get:

==================

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Win10Ent64bit 2019-05-15T10-31.

Details:

GIM#0: SavedVERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH GIM provider 0 differs from the configured one (2). [ver=1 pass=final] ().

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

==================

I reinstalled Virtual Box (current version on the web site; same as what I was running).

What's the fastest way to get back and running? Can I replace the .vdi and .vbox files with earlier versions?

It is likely irrelevant, but I have an Ubuntu server VM that (still) runs fine.

thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH Windows 10 VM

Post by mpack »

SSM_LOAD_MISMATCH means you have a saved state file (.sav) from a previous version of VirtualBox. SAV files are not portable.

You have to right click the VM in the manager and choose "Discard saved state". Then I suggest that you stop using saved states - in the modern era there is really very little need for this feature.
BobOra

Post by BobOra »

Thank you a million for that; you made my morning.
mpack wrote:SSM_LOAD_MISMATCH means you have a saved state file (.sav) from a previous version of VirtualBox. SAV files are not portable.

You have to right click the VM in the manager and choose "Discard saved state". Then I suggest that you stop using saved states - in the modern era there is really very little need for this feature.
I open the VM occasionally, and have been ending the 'session' after doing my work using by saving the machine state.

If I shut the VM down, it takes about 1' 10" to get to the (Windows) desktop (MacBook Pro a number of years old, but it does have an SSD). I realize that's not forever, but opening from a saved state is much faster. Curious if 'by very little need' you mean to shut down the VM.

thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The biggest thing to remember when using saved-state is to not upgrade Virtualbox if important VMs are save-stated. Start then full-shut-down before upgrading Virtualbox.

It should theoretically be possible to re-downgrade Virtualbox if an important still-save-stated VM must be restored after upgrade.
BobOra

Post by BobOra »

scottgus1 wrote:The biggest thing to remember when using saved-state is to not upgrade Virtualbox if important VMs are save-stated. Start then full-shut-down before upgrading Virtualbox.

It should theoretically be possible to re-downgrade Virtualbox if an important still-save-stated VM must be restored after upgrade.
That was what I did (to cause the problem). Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If you doubt your own ability to remember to shut down all VMs before an upgrade - and I would certainly doubt mine - then IMO the safest option is to accept the 70 extra seconds it takes to boot a VM (which you only use occassionally) from hdd. On those days just take an extra sip or two of coffee or something productive like that... :)