Deleted Snapshot Recoverable?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
karlajnr

Deleted Snapshot Recoverable?

Post by karlajnr »

Hi

I know, I need to do backups and that was on my to-do list. I deleted the only snapshot that existed on my virtual machine and now of course it has no data at all. Anyways I can recover the deleted one?

Virtual Machine running Windows Server
My Computer is a Mini Mac

I turned on my computer and there was a new update for VM software so I installed the update. Once installed I was not able to start the machine I was getting error messages. So I decided to delete the current state and snapshots and everything that was on that list to see if now the program could start the machine, well it fixed that issue but is a completely new machine with 0 data.

Any way to recover the snapshot or the data on the virtual machine?

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Deleted Snapshot Recoverable?

Post by scottgus1 »

Unless you can put the file back, there's no fix in Virtualbox.

You might try an undelete app that can scan your disk, but forum gurus in the know hold out no hope for these apps recovering a file of the size a long-used snapshot file might be.

Regrettably, all we can do is what you've already discovered:
karlajnr wrote:I know, I need to do backups
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Deleted Snapshot Recoverable?

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote: You might try an undelete app that can scan your disk, but forum gurus in the know hold out no hope for these apps recovering a file of the size a long-used snapshot file might be.
I've never heard of a successful attempt at this. Those apps are mostly snake oil, peddled by parasites who feed off desperation. High risk of malware if you download any of those.