System Extension Blocked on macOS Big Sur

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
dfire

System Extension Blocked on macOS Big Sur

Post by dfire »

Hi, I've got a problem where when I'm doing a clean install of virtual box I get this error message.
Unlike the other error message that most "Mac OS Big Sur" solutions work for, this doesn't "If you want to enable these extensions go to Security & Privacy System Preferences pane".
And indeed when I go there I get no options to accept it. It appears to be indicating that the extension is just not compatible with my version of Mac? (Big Sur 11.4 & Virtual Box 6.1.24)

How do I solve this problem?
I've already tried:
* loading VMs despite error (this gives me an NS_ERROR_FAILURE)
* reinstalling virtual box
* resetting system integrity config to default with `csrutil clear`
* disabling system integrity protection
* lowering security level to reduced with start security util (with all additional leniency options checked), specifically:
> allowed user to manage installation of signed kernel extensions
> allowed remote management of kernel extensions with automatic software updates.
* (like I mentioned) looking in system preferences -> security & privacy, for 'accept' dialog option to allow installation of kernel extension.

I have also tried most combinations of these options.
Attachments
Error message during installation of virtual box
Error message during installation of virtual box
Screen_Shot_2021-07-20_at_3.48.57_PM.png (86.01 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: System Extension Blocked on macOS Big Sur

Post by multiOS »

It's not an error message, it's an advisory/warning message to ensure the user is aware of the potential risk of installing 3rd-Party software. Blame Apple for the obscure wording! Basically, it is Apple absolving itself of any responsibility for any problems that may arise from software installations not made via their own App Store.

Simply go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General Tab - Click the Lock icon , provide the system password and you will be asked to approve the Oracle software installation/upgrade. On providing approval, you will the be instructed to re-Boot the system for the installation changes to take effect.

Have just done this with the 6.1.24 upgrade with no problems.
dfire

Re: System Extension Blocked on macOS Big Sur

Post by dfire »

multiOS wrote:It's not an error message, it's an advisory/warning message to ensure the user is aware of the potential risk of installing 3rd-Party software. Blame Apple for the obscure wording! Basically, it is Apple absolving itself of any responsibility for any problems that may arise from software installations not made via their own App Store.

Simply go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General Tab - Click the Lock icon , provide the system password and you will be asked to approve the Oracle software installation/upgrade. On providing approval, you will the be instructed to re-Boot the system for the installation changes to take effect.

Have just done this with the 6.1.24 upgrade with no problems.
No so what I showed was the message that I believe is at the root of the problem. If I ignore that warning & try to run the VM I get this error (see attached)

Also I already tried that solution. It didn't work, I get no option to 'approve' this kernel extension. I've checked several times right as Mac displays the original warning I was talking about. Do you have any other ideas? Why would this be different for me than it is for others?
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2021-07-20_at_2.36.08_PM.jpg
Screen_Shot_2021-07-20_at_2.36.08_PM.jpg (113.51 KiB) Viewed 3030 times