Running my Snow Leopard OS on Virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
QB2550

Running my Snow Leopard OS on Virtualbox

Post by QB2550 »

Hello members! I have an old Mac Mini running Snow Leopard hosting an old website that will not run on newer OS so I'm stuck with SL. Been searching on how to convert that OS to something that will run on VB but have been unsuccessful. I've clone the system to an external drive and it still runs fine on the old Mac Mini but want to get rid of the Mini and run it as a virtual OS. Does anyone have a solution for my situation?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Running my Snow Leopard OS on Virtualbox

Post by scottgus1 »

I would not be able to help you get the Mac OS into a VM, will have to leave for the Mac gurus to help on that one.

But I would suggest a fallback: move the contents of the website to a Linux VM, then you can run it on any host OS.
paulmc
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows

Re: Running my Snow Leopard OS on Virtualbox

Post by paulmc »

@QB2550, humble apologies for chiming in so late … Just to add to the good advice from moderator 'scottgus1', if you do still wish to brave the wild waters of Snow Leopard guest VMs, then there are existing threads that cover various aspects of setting up such guests in VirtualBox.

For instance, over in the 'Mac OS X Guests' forum, there's the thread 'OSX Snow Leopard installation failed: "still waiting for root device"' [2021-01-18+]. It contains some general suggestions, along with a couple of links back to other related threads here in this 'VirtualBox on Mac OS X Hosts' forum too.

Good luck!