Weird problem on Catalina

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
koenig

Weird problem on Catalina

Post by koenig »

I have two MacBooks, one MacBook Pro from 2017 and one MacBook air from 2012. Both are running Catalina and the odd thing is that I can on one machine (the Air) create and run VirtualBox without any problem whereas on the other (the Pro) everytime I try to create a new virtual machine (it is always Linux I want to run, nothing else) it crashes.

I'd love to provide details but I am stumped as to what I should provide, what kind on information there is. It is, as you can imagine, rather frustrating not to be able to run VirtualBox as I have need for it, both professionally and privately.

I have Parallels installed without any problems. I have all security patches installed. There are, of course, differences between the two machines and I would be naive to think that I could list them all.

Please tell me what I should post in order for some kind soul to be able to make heads and tails of this. Right now there is not much to go on and I willing admit as much.

Cheers,

Koenig
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Weird problem on Catalina

Post by scottgus1 »

I may not be able to tell you how to fix the problem, but here is where we'd start:

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.