Big Sur Host Issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Franklin S Werren
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Linux

Big Sur Host Issues

Post by Franklin S Werren »

I am getting this issue with BigSur and here is the error codes
As a note: It worked fine on Catalinia

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 10.
The virtual machine 'Windows 10' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu (64-bit).
The virtual machine 'Ubuntu (64-bit)' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Big Sur Host Issues

Post by scottgus1 »

Try MultiOS's suggestion here: viewtopic.php?f=22&p=481332#p481332
Franklin S Werren
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Linux

Post by Franklin S Werren »

It appears to be a Virtual Box Issue. Worked fine using Catalina everything worked fine....
Most of the other programs work fine as well. I tried even reinstalling Virtual Box!!!
Just to use VB means a clean install ..... and restore from a thumb drive

As a note on the forum, First I tried to upload a picture of the issue, 6 megs was too big and it said use 2 megs.
Well I tried a 2 meg file and it said max was 128k .....
What gives on forum????
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Franklin S Werren wrote: Well I tried a 2 meg file and it said max was 128k .....
What gives on forum????
You said it yourself - the size limit for images is 128K. That should be fine for a cropped PNG or JPEG image containing important data - and we don't need any other kind.
dfire

Post by dfire »

scottgus1 wrote:Try MultiOS's suggestion here: [...]
I've got the same problem on the same system and his suggestion doesn't work because the 'accept' dialog never shows in system & privacy -> security.
multiOS
Volunteer
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

I've just upgraded to VirtualBox 6.1.24 and the same security authorisation procedure is still necessary and still works as previously described.

If the MacOS warning/advsory messages about approving 3rd Party software installation/update does not appear in MacOS Settings > Security & Privacy > General then its likely that they are being blocked by problems with MacOS, quite possibly arising from previous failed installs of VirtualBox where all remnants of those installs haven't been removed. There are some user suggestions about this in this VirtualBox Bugtracker link that might help; https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19795#comment:69 but you need to ignore some of the negativity and cut through to 'what has been found to work'. The nuclear option is, predictably, a clean install of MacOS to restore functionality, but there are other suggested options that users have had success with.

Many MacOS users who have this problem, perhaps understandably, consider it to be a problem with VirtualBox, but IMHO it's a primarily MacOS issue, largely caused by Apple/MacOS Developers who seem to be on a path of making it increasing difficult for users to install any 3rd Party software that is not provided/installed via the MacOS App Store, by shrouding the procedure for granting administrative installation approval in mystery/obscurity, especially where software, such as VirtualBox, coming from identified (trusted) developers needs to be integrated with the OS.