Cannot select image on macOS big sur

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
FritzLekschas

Cannot select image on macOS big sur

Post by FritzLekschas »

I am running macOS 11.4 and VirtualBox 6.1.22 r144080. When I try to install an Ubuntu box and am about to select the corresponding iso file (after having clicked on the plus icon in the iso selection modal) the VM crashed with the following error message:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu 20.04.

The VM session was aborted.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}
Any idea what could cause the issue or where to look to find the source of the issue?

In case it's helpful, SIP is enabled.

Since I cannot even start the the VM for the first time there aren't any further logs.
FritzLekschas

Re: Cannot select image on macOS big sur

Post by FritzLekschas »

I've tried rebooting and restarting but that didn't solve the issue. I've also re-installed (deinstalled then reinstalled) VirtualBox but, again, it didn't change the error.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

First, make sure you're not using an M1 Mac, see the stickies at the top of Mac Hosts.

Then please see this by "paulmc" viewtopic.php?f=8&t=101717#p494214. Please report if it helps.
paulmc
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows

Post by paulmc »

Hmm, as I just confessed in another thread, the cited post by yours truly {from the thread "can't add startup disk on mac osx"} is just a tad longwinded, as happens quite often with me ;-). It might be all-too-easy to miss the redirection in the TL;DR section at the top, and end up slogging through the Detailed section.

Also, one of the quickest — and since confirmed — workarounds I'd listed at the bottom of that post {i.e., "• Try attaching the ISO disc-image fi{l}e via the system's own Open dialog"} actually refers back up into all those details! There's a hopefully clearer description of it in the last sentence of this other post {from the related thread 'Virtualbox 6.1.18 crashes when adding Disk Image (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)'}.