crashing before I can choose an ISO

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
RyanIsConfused

crashing before I can choose an ISO

Post by RyanIsConfused »

Environments:

VirtualBox Version 6.1.22 r144080 (Qt5.6.3)

MacBook Pro (2019)
Processor: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I've reinstalled VirtualBox, and I'm unable to make a simple Win10 x64 virtual machine. I'm able to make an empty VM, but when I press Start, and it asks to select the virtual optical device, I choose the browse button, then the add button, and it immediately crashes.

I get 2 popups, "VirtualBox VM quit unexpectedly" and "Failed to open a session for the virtual machine (name)" with the details...

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
SessionMachine
Interface:
ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan
RyanIsConfused

Re: crashing before I can choose an ISO

Post by RyanIsConfused »

As a work-around, I was able to load a pre-built image from Microsoft

I can't post links yet, so it's developer dot microsoft dot com slash en-us slash windows slash downloads slash virtual-machines
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

First, make sure you're not using an M1 Mac, see the stickies at the top of Mac Hosts.

Then please see this by "paulmc" viewtopic.php?f=8&t=101717#p494214. Please report if it helps.
paulmc
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows

Post by paulmc »

Hmm, as I just confessed in another thread, the cited post by yours truly {from the thread "can't add startup disk on mac osx"} is just a tad longwinded, as happens quite often with me ;-). It might be all-too-easy to miss the redirection in the TL;DR section at the top, and end up slogging through the Detailed section.

Also, one of the quickest — and since confirmed — workarounds I'd listed at the bottom of that post {i.e., "• Try attaching the ISO disc-image fi{l}e via the system's own Open dialog"} actually refers back up into all those details! There's a hopefully clearer description of it in the last sentence of this other post {from the related thread 'Virtualbox 6.1.18 crashes when adding Disk Image (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)'}.