Snapshot on external hidden volume inaccessible

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
KBJ

Snapshot on external hidden volume inaccessible

Post by KBJ »

I This was a VB trick back in the days of TrusCrypt but it later also applied to Veracrypt. So I'm posting here bc it was originally a VB tutorial. The idea was to create plausible deniability by (a) having a hidden volume in Veracrypt and (B) having an unworkable VB app should you find yourself in a sticky spot.

So long story short, I created a VM, started it up then immediately closed it then changed the path of the snapshot to a hidden volume in VC. This rendered the VB VM inoperable bc the snapshot pointed to an unrelated destination. In order to open the VM in VB I had to first of all open the hidden volume in VC so that VB would have access to the snapshot and thus be able to operate.

This worked well for years and nowadays such a complex scenario is unnecessary bc VB now has encryption capabilities though this does not provide plausible deniability.

Problem is I have upgraded my OS and now have a new instance of VB and am unable to access the path to the snapshot I saved in the hidden VC volume. The only valid path leads to the VB VM folder. Everything else is greyed out.

I was lucky to find a link to how I created the path but no clues how I might be able to access it from a new instance of VB. Unfortunately I am not allowed to post the link.

It's equally a VB and VC quandary so am approaching the brains trust in both forums.

Clues?