VirtualBox Running Slow on MacOSX

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox Running Slow on MacOSX

Post by mpack »

The "VBoxService" line shows the API presented by the host software - i.e. this is the version of the host software. It does not indicate that you have installed matching GAs.

The GAs Information Report line tells you what the GAs version is: and it's 6.0.0.
red66

Post by red66 »

That means there is no issue with my GuestAdditons. So can that brings us back to the main problem of lag and slow. Can you please help me with thay.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:The "VBoxService" line shows the API presented by the host software - i.e. this is the version of the host software. It does not indicate that you have installed matching GAs.
Sorry, but you're wrong! :!:

If you don't believe me, search the VirtualBox User Manual or any VBox.log file, to see that VBoxService is one of the main applications of the VirtualBox Guest Additions (GA) and it is running inside the guest OS. The combination of the two log messages, which I selected, shows the common case that the installation procedure of the GA was successful in installing all GA components except the kernel modules.
red66 wrote:That means there is no issue with my GuestAdditons.
Despite the conflicting statements from mpack and me, this follows from neither of them. You could be right that it is not responsible for the slowness, though. But IMHO it doesn't make sense to investigate problems in a known bad setup.
red66

Post by red66 »

Any ideas on what i should do to resolve these problems and run my guest ps efficiently?
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Maybe it is the known problem with the high res display an Macs.
Have a look at viewtopic.php?p=470879#p470879
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm not seeing any resolution higher than fullHD, so I wouldn't expect that to be a problem normally - i.e. if the GAs had been installed properly, which they have not. There have been whole loads of graphics related GAs bugs fixed since 6.0.0, so if the OP refuses to address this then I'm not willing to waste any more time on it.
granada29
Volunteer
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

red66 wrote:
fth0 wrote:Copying the files should not be necessary. Run the command directly from the mounted DVD image, and especially pay attention to potential error messages in the command output.
I ran the command through the mounted DVD drive but still, the log shows the same prob though the terminal said Guest Additional version 6.1.22. But still, the lag issue is not resolved yet
Are you sure you posted the correct log? I think that this is the same log you that attached previously. It has an identical title to your previos posting.

What I suggest you do is
1. Shutdown your VM
2. Start your VM
3. Shutdown the VM - from inside the guest VM, not by aborting the instance with a 'Power Off'
4. Right click the VM at the left side of the Manager window and select 'Show in Finder' from the popup menu
5. In the Finder window you will see a folder labeled 'Logs'
6. Open Logs and right click/compress VBox.log
7. Attach VBox.log.zip to a new post in this topic.
red66

Post by red66 »

I deleted all the previous logs before logging in to avoid confusion this time. Here is the latest log. Thank You
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(38.41 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
granada29
Volunteer
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

It looks as though you still have the older guest additions (6.0.0) installed. You should use whatever package manager your guest has (i.e yum, apt or however kali manages packages) and use that to remove anything VirtualBox related that you have installed. Until you do this there is little point in trying to install the official guest additions bundled with VirtualBox.

Once you have removed them - then try re-installing the bundled additions, through the supported means - i.e. attach the ISO image to your VM from it's Devices menu, mount the image in your guest file system and run the installer, carefully noting ANY errors and references to logs.

You may have missing dependencies and be required to install additional packages before the guest additions will install. Unfortunately I know little about Kali or how it differs from Debian/Ubuntu/RedHat
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

granada29 wrote:Unfortunately I know little about Kali or how it differs from Debian/Ubuntu/RedHat
In case you're not aware, Kali is Debian-based.
granada29 wrote:You should use whatever package manager your guest has (i.e yum, apt or however kali manages packages) and use that to remove anything VirtualBox related that you have installed.
Good overall strategy, but this part will be a hurdle: ;)

Code: Select all

kali@kali:~$ dpkg -S vboxguest.ko
linux-image-5.4.0-kali2-amd64: /lib/modules/5.4.0-kali2-amd64/kernel/drivers/virt/vboxguest/vboxguest.ko
Instead of removing this vital package, find and rename all files named "vbox*.ko" in the /lib/modules tree.
red66

Post by red66 »

Thank you everyone for going through all this trouble for helping me with this issue. I tried various ways but none of them seemed to work so finally I switched to VMware and it's way smooth there. so I guess I am going to continue using vmware. Sorry for all the trouble everyone went through. Thank You.