How do I find / download VBoxGuestAdditions?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
tkirby01

How do I find / download VBoxGuestAdditions?

Post by tkirby01 »

Any idea where this lives? I cannot find it anywhere on my Mac or on the web.

Thanks in advance.
Tom
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Yeah I had this problem a while ago:

Go to the latest sub directory and download it from here:

http://dlc.sun.com/virtualbox/
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

i needed this today as for some reason when running vbox 2.0.2 on fedora9 with a centos 5.2 guest, the "install additions" button did naff all - didn't mount an iso image under the guest or a virtual cd drive or anything.

so i scp'ed /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso and mounted it using the loopback filesystem on the guest in the end.

oh and WHY do the virtualbox developers insist on using mixed case for everything - can you standardise on lowercase like the rest of the universe please, i hate that VBoxManage is mixed case and vboxctrl is all lower - it makes it very hard to find commands and files if they're not in your $PATH.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

You did add the iso image under the CD section of in the setting menu? You've got to do that first then you'll see it when you boot the VM.
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

ChrisA wrote:You did add the iso image under the CD section of in the setting menu? You've got to do that first then you'll see it when you boot the VM.
i assume you only have to have it added in the list and not be the active cd device - i.e. the guest boots with the physical drive configured, then swaps to the iso when you select install additions?
xfq473

Post by xfq473 »

The guest additions are included in the application bundle. ':(' Of course, this makes it impossible to find from the Finder, nor can you add the image using the dialogs in VirtualBox. You need to control click the application bundle and examine the bundle contents. That opens the bundle in a finder window. You can search from there.

Once you find the Guest Additions, copy them to the Desktop and mount them from there. You only need them once per guest OS.
Eko

Post by Eko »

when you're booted into the guest OS the "install guest additions" are under the "Devices" drop down menu. If you have trouble installing them make sure your cd is unmounted.

Eko