VirtualBox Manager not showing machines

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
joebug

VirtualBox Manager not showing machines

Post by joebug »

I can't seem to access or view any machines on my system even though they are registered in VirtualBox. Have tried updating VirtualBox, restarting, removing drive with machines and reconnecting as well as dragging from sides of window but can't seem to figure this out. I should also mention that my machines are being stored on an external SSD. Any help is massively appreciated. Cheers.
Attachments
Virtual machines previously accessible in VirtualBox (seen by pressing export via Manager)
Virtual machines previously accessible in VirtualBox (seen by pressing export via Manager)
Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 7.53.57 AM.png (77.09 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
Screen shot showing VirtualBox Manager
Screen shot showing VirtualBox Manager
Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 7.46.41 AM.png (105.8 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: VirtualBox Manager not showing machines

Post by fth0 »

The VirtualBox Manager window usually shows up to three columns, separated by vertical lines called splitters. The left splitter probably was moved to the left window border and disappeared, and on macOS hosts with Retina displays you cannot grab it with the mouse to get it back.

Please reboot your host to ensure that no VirtualBox component or VM is running. Open a terminal and execute the following commands:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage getextradata global "GUI/LastWindowPosition"
VBoxManage getextradata global "GUI/SplitterSizes"
The output will look like the following, giving you 4 and 2 numbers:

Value: <x>,<y>,<w>,<h>
Value: <xa>,<xb>
If <xa> equals 0, enter the following command, replacing "<...>" with some sensible values, for example:

VBoxManage setextradata global "GUI/SplitterSizes" "<w*1/3>,<w*2/3>"
When you start the VirtualBox Manager afterwards, it should look normal again, and you can move the splitters as you like.
joebug

Re: VirtualBox Manager not showing machines

Post by joebug »

Thanks so much, all sorted. Really appreciate the help~