Windows 10 on Big Sur Host - networking issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Kal800

Windows 10 on Big Sur Host - networking issues

Post by Kal800 »

Hi,

I'm having some issues with VM setup. I'm using Windows 10 VB guest set up using Bridged Adapter to my Airport interface which is connected to NetGear Orbi Pro mesh system. The host system is 2019 Macbook Pro on i5 CPU. After installation of the system, the network was unreachable - both local and external. Network interface could not acquire IP address from the DHCP server, and I could not enter IP manually, as it was supposedly duplicated. I used the solution which was published here earlier with dadtransmits=0 parameter, and it started to work, but the network connection is far from the stable.

I run SQL server installer - it was able to download 300 MBs and then stuck - external connection become unavailable, pings to the gateway, internal and external hosts did not work. After troubleshooting performed (resetting of an interface) the problem was solved. I managed to download another 300 MB portion of the package, the same procedure, and then another 400 MB and another 300, and so on. I thought that the interface gets stuck trying to download big amounts of data, but after successful installation of the SQL, the problem persisted - network connection works for couple of minutes tops and requires to restart network adapter afterwards.

Anybody has a clue where the root cause can be - in the guest system, host, or maybe WiFi setup? Thanks in advance for any clues.

Kal800