Guru Meditation while firing a windows server 2019

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ovniwatcher

Guru Meditation while firing a windows server 2019

Post by ovniwatcher »

Hi
I run Virtualbox on a MAC MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) running EL Capitan 10.11.6.
I tried to fire a Windows server 2019 ISO and got straight after the Guru Medication logo issue

I attached the VBox.log

Thanks community for your help
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(60.24 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guru Meditation while firing a windows server 2019

Post by scottgus1 »

Your computer is very old and may not do well running this VM. It has only two not-hyperthreaded processor cores, and Windows 2019, being 10 with server stuff added, really needs two processors in the VM. Your computer may get slow and unstable if the VM goes full-throttle on both processors.

Additionally, the 2019 template may have a bug in it. Make a new VM, use the 2016 template for Server 2019, and make sure that the VM's System settings, Acceleration, Paravirtualization Interface* says 'Hyper-V'. Set two processors in the VM, hope for the best.

(* 'Paravirtualization Interface' is a comm channel for virtualization-aware OS's to talk to whatever hypervisor is running them, so they can run more efficiently. Setting this to Hyper-V does not turn on the host OS's Hyper-V.)
ovniwatcher

Post by ovniwatcher »

Thanks, it works :)
But so slow, i'll building my lab on a more recent mac then

Thank you.
xninaki
Guest OSses: *nix (Various), Win Server (various)

Post by xninaki »

Hello everyone, I'm having this same issue trying to launch a Win 2019 VM on my Windows 10 machine. I also get the Guru Meditation error even after upping my VM settings to use 3 or 4 of my CPU cores. I've attached my Log and PNG files. Any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
VBox.png
VBox.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
VBox.zip
Had to zip the Log file to upload
(61.54 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Before posting a "me too", it would be nice if you tried the advice that was already offered. For example, the advice to use the Win2016 template.
xninaki
Guest OSses: *nix (Various), Win Server (various)

Post by xninaki »

Issue resolved, my original attempt at loading the image with the 2016 template reverted to 2019 prior to launch, I removed the VM and re-installed it and now it launches. Thanks for the help!