macbook pro too hot. Cooler fan a lot of noise

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Gabrielpasv

macbook pro too hot. Cooler fan a lot of noise

Post by Gabrielpasv »

host: Macbook pro 16GB RAM
guest: ubuntu 4GB RAM

I already started the ubuntu minimal version, I disabled all effects. The VM itself works great but the problem is with the host machine. Cooler Fan is on all the time making a lot of noise and the laptop is so hot.
I wanted to check the following:

1-) Is there anything I can still do to mitigate this issue ?
2-) I need to use laptop more than 8 hours per day with the VM on. So what are the problems I could start getting ? Will this cause any issue to the host machine ?

Thank you
Gabriel
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: macbook pro too hot. Cooler fan a lot of noise

Post by scottgus1 »

Lots of fan & heat most likely means that the CPU is running a lot harder. A view of the Mac & Linux 'task managers' will tell what is using up the CPU most. If Virtualbox is using most of the host CPU, then what is using CPU in the VM?
VirtualJan

Post by VirtualJan »

I agree to scottgus1, I would suggest the CPU might be the cause.
Could you tell us wether you could fix the problem and (if you did) how? Would be interested in this!
howardc64

Post by howardc64 »

Had this issue on a 2015 MBP (A1502) i7 16GB system running VB 6.1. Note the i7 CPU of A1502 model in general has more fan spin noise than the i5 CPU variant.

Solution was to set max CPU % from 100% to something lower like 50%. VM does run slower but fan seems quieter.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks, howardc64, for the info. However, reducing max CPU only makes things not go through the CPU as fast and reduces load, not really telling what the load was caused by in the first place.

Another possibility is a dirty cooler that doesn't cool as well as it's supposed to, or is undersized. My full-size PC host went from 135*F to 110*F under normal load, simply by blowing the dust out.