Failed to open a session for the virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
macOSVBox

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine

Post by macOSVBox »

Hello
Failed after trying to add a disk image. Please, check video, drivegooglecom/file/d/1sIrsI3dMgQ44mK4l6CxdpRaoHdS-r-s7/view?usp=sharing
I'm sorry, can't post URLs. Please, insert dots.
I'm Windows user and don't know how to extract log-files.. how you could use macOS without simply file explorer.. too hard. The "Finder" app is misunderstanding
macOS ver 11.2.3, VirtualBox ver 6.1.20
Thank you

Log from macOS: drivegooglecom/file/d/1PIFm4gfeq0Wz-gVJnxF56EK78MAqfQYl/view?usp=sharing
Error code from VirtualBox:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine www1.

The VM session was aborted.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine

Post by mpack »

Few of us will click offsite links, most especially not obfuscated links. Zip log files and attach them locally, using the "Upload attachment" form.
macOSVBox

Post by macOSVBox »

few people like to download files first, then unpack, then open (three actions instead of one). My goal was to bring convenience not to myself, but to you. Instead of a text description of the steps to reproduce the problem - I clearly demonstrate these steps so that experienced users can painstakingly track all the actions and reactions of programs by checking the video. You can find a Google Drive site on the internet. And substitute the tail of my link. Isn't this a guarantor of security, how do you think? You can also use a virtual machine to ensure that you do not infect the host with a virus. I'm right?
It is a pity that I cannot provide you with a direct link now (the rule is that you have to wait a day before posting a link. I'll post a direct link tomorrow). Google Drive is famous for its paranoid attitudes towards security. It is impossible to download a virus from it.
mpack wrote:Few of us will click offsite links, most especially not obfuscated links. Zip log files and attach them locally, using the "Upload attachment" form.
why not disable links on the forum for everyone then. Or, for example, disable them only for users who have less than 1000 messages.
Instead of text and a screenshots, I would like to post a short video (51 seconds). There is a saying like "it is better to see once than hear a hundred times." Apparently this saying is not true for everyone.
Perhaps I should have filed a bug on the bug tracker...
Thank you
Attachments
log.zip
(22.41 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

This problem has already been provided with a workaround in: Virtualbox 6.1.18 crashes when adding Disk Image (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)

I guess you didn't think to scan the forum to see if anyone else may have reported a similar problem to yours.

I do suggest that you file a bug report as it seems no one else has yet done this. Your bug report should include the macOS crashdump that you have attached here plus the VirtualBox log file for the crashed session.

To locate the VirtualBox log, right click the VM name in 'Oracle VM Virtual Box Manager' and choose Show in Finder from the popup menu. Open the Logs folder and compress the VBox.log folder (right click, compress) prior to attachment.
macOSVBox

Post by macOSVBox »

unfortunately I could not find this particular topic trying to scan the forum
I have been trying for a long time to find a solution using Google. But even the error's code didn't get me to the right place.
Will do as you advise, publish a bug report with the necessary logs. Thanks for the comprehensive answer!