having 2 vpns, on host and another on VM.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Gabrielpasv

having 2 vpns, on host and another on VM.

Post by Gabrielpasv »

I am running virtualbox on Mac. Here is what I need to accomplish.
My host laptop needs to connect to a VPN, and I need a VM to connect to a different VPN.

My first thought was to use bridge mode, however I am having issues with it because I am connect to wi-fi
Second, to use NAT. Problem is that when using NAT the VPN from my host is automatically routed to the guest VMs. Is there any way to avoid that ?

In general I need these two VPN. Is there any other alternatives you can think about it ?

I really appreciate any help.
Thank you
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: having 2 vpns, on host and another on VM.

Post by scottgus1 »

When using NAT, the VM uses the host's internet connection, which is taken over by the host's VPN.

Bridged does not always work with Wi-Fi as you've discovered. Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: Bridged Adapter

The only way I know to have separate network connections is through Bridged, or with a USB network adapter passed directly into the VM with a Virtualbox USB filter. This adapter could be Wi-Fi, and Bridged would not be used, since the VM OS has direct control of the adapter. So you would essentially have two Wi-Fi connections, then you theoretically could run two VPN's.
Gabrielpasv

Re: having 2 vpns, on host and another on VM.

Post by Gabrielpasv »

humm... you mean buying a usb wifi device right ?
Smart idea.