How I can use shared Folder

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
VolkerP

How I can use shared Folder

Post by VolkerP »

Hello,

I installed winxp as guest on Intel OSX (10.4.11) using VirtualBox 2.02.
I set up the virtuel HDD on a connected FireWire Disk. Also I defined a shared folder on this and type this folder in the configuration on ViertualBox.

After installing and run winxp (all works fine) I try to access on shared folder. But I dont know how to do this.

In the network env. within the explorer I see only the winxp PC not shared folder von the host mashine.

What is the problem and how can I fix them?

Bye Volker
VolkerP

Post by VolkerP »

I tryed differend configurations. First I used networking using NAT. I have internet connections and can logon to the host using file sharing. I use the gateway IP and my host login name. It works.

Also the network configuration with HIF.

But in both configs I can not use the VB shared folders without network how it is discribed in the manual.

Bye Volker
D_Mac-9

Check this thread

Post by D_Mac-9 »

I had problems too, I was about to abandon using Ubuntu because I couldn't share files. I wanted to use SynFig and KToon but only Linux versions were stable.

So, check out the bottom of this thread on networking, maybe there is something there that will help. (Search, search, search) http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=9745

David
MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS X 10.5.4 - VirtualBox 2.0.0, Ubuntu 8.0.4, Kubuntu 8.04
VolkerP

Post by VolkerP »

Hi D_Mac-9,

I read this posting before. But it discribe that to share folder I have to use networking (ssh ...).

I can use share folders by networking but I would like use the function Share Folder from VB without networking.

If this is doesn't work I use networking furthermore.

Volker
nac

Post by nac »

To share a folder between guest and host you do *not* need to use real and or virtual networks, but within the guest it appears as network share. Go to MyComputer, select tools, map Network drive, Browse and select and expand "VirtualBox Shared Folders" - any folders defined in VirtualBox should appear. Select required folder. (You may need to expand Entire Network" to see the VirtualBox option)
walapu

Post by walapu »

I have a shared folder setup but when I go to browse the virtual box section doesnt show up. What is wrong?
nac

Post by nac »

It is likely you have not "Installed Guest Additions" , or not enabled folder sharing in settings. Enable folder sharing under setting with guest powered off, Install guest addition with guest powered on
walapu

Post by walapu »

Already done