Resolution stopped scaling in full screen suddenly.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
rodentMinn

Resolution stopped scaling in full screen suddenly.

Post by rodentMinn »

So I recently updated to VirtualBox from some version of 5 to 6.1.18, and it was working okay until a couple days ago where the screen resolution won't automatically resize to fit my Mac's display anymore. Full screen mode just keeps everything in 800x600 resolution in the center of the screen, with nothing but a black frame around it. I have Guest Additions installed and everything.

Host: macOS 10.14.6 "Mojave" with 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, and 1536 MB VRAM. I'm on a 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display.
Guest: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena (32-bit) with 1.5 GB RAM and 128 MB VRAM, and the graphics adapter is VMSVGA with 3D acceleration enabled. The kernel version is 4.4.0-53-generic.

Retracing my steps, I just updated to the latest version of VirtualBox, saw the resolution of the Linux screen was too big, so I changed Virtual Screen 1 to scale to 175%. Things were fine. I upgraded the packages in the Linux Mint guest with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
and

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
. My battery dies (of course). I get the thing plugged in and VirtualBox seems to get Linux Mint going where it left off. I reboot the guest. Now, Linux Mint no longer fits my MacBook display.

I tried updating and upgrading packages again, running

sudo rcvboxadd setup
and rebooting, running VBoxLinuxAdditions.run and rebooting, changing the graphics adapter, changing resolutions and scaling, both in the VirtualBox "View" menu and in the Linux Mint guest, and even running fsck on reboot in the guest. Nothing seems to work.

Other interesting things: 1) This happens whether I log in to Xfce or in Cinnamon. 2) Before, the login screen on Linux Mint was always scaled down, but everything worked as they should once I log in to a desktop environment. Now everything is scaled down. 3) Every once in a while, the machine aborts. I never had that happen before either, and I can't find a pattern as to why it happens.

I left the machine at 200% autoscaled output, with the display settings in Xfce set to 1280x756 by the time I gave up.

I got a log from cold booting all the way until the problem manifests itself, then shutting down softly.

Can you please help me? I have no idea what to do at this point.
Attachments
Linux Lab-2021-04-05-19-26-25.log.zip
(33.87 KiB) Downloaded 11 times