Migrating Parallels image - cannot add .hdd file

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
meeting message

Migrating Parallels image - cannot add .hdd file

Post by meeting message »

Trying VirtualBox out, moving away from Parallels.

I have used the VMware Converter software INSIDE the VM in question, to dump out the image file. The only options I chose, following an online guide was to untick the pagefile and hibernation file. I put this in a new directory on a separate SSD as "CapLap-convert". This process completed successfully.

Now I run VirtualBox:
  • Click "New"
  • Provide a name, "CapLap"
  • Chose Windows 7 as the O/S
  • Specified 4GB RAM
  • Selected "Use an existing virtual hard disk file", and the little icon in the bottom right
  • New GUI appears to add the image file.
  • Click "Add" and browse to the above new "CapLap-convert.hdd" file
  • When press "Open", I get the following error:
Failed to open the disk image file /Volumes/DAN_DATA/VMs/CapLap-convert/CapLap-convert.hdd.

The medium '/Volumes/DAN_DATA/VMs/CapLap-convert/CapLap-convert.hdd' can't be used as the requested device type (HDD, detected invalid).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}
Callee: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
I have searched against the various error strings and numbers in here, but nothing is obvious as a resolution.

As this doesn't even create the shell of the VM object, I don't believe I can access log files, though if there are other log files to get at, please direct me and I will post / provide.

Can anyone assist, please?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Migrating Parallels image - cannot add .hdd file

Post by scottgus1 »

See https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch05.html#vdidetails, under the "HDD" section, and check the version of your Parallels HDD drive file.
meeting message

Post by meeting message »

Thanks @scottgus1

Virtual disk management seems a mysterious art, even in 2021!

I wasn't able to find anywhere that would detail the "version" of the HDD file I had, but running a version of Parallels from 2019 or 2020, I had to assume it was using a later version. Some threads I found suggested the "Parallels Image Tool", but it seems it no longer exists as well as the Parallels Toolbox software also requiring the license key, which I didnt have as mine has expired - the main reason for migrating.

However, I found another thread detailing the migration process:
https://superuser.com/questions/330335/ ... ual-box-vm

I retried this following the steps from Kalpesh Popat, stating that with newer versions of the software, you can use the "Right Click > Show Package Contents" options to see the .hds file. I manually copied this to another directory, then renamed it as .hdd. At this point, VirtualBox was able to import the image to the Media Manager. I actually also applied the optional step to copy / convert this to a VirtualBox-native VDI format, as I expect it will help over the years of this VM running.

The next challenge I had was an error on powering on the VM:

FATAL! No bootable medium found

The setting required (after trying many!) was to go into the VM's settings > System > Motherboard > Ticked the "Enable EFI (special OSes only)" option. Powered back on, and it worked. I did recall somewhere/how that my device used EFI. Thought it might be useful to post the resolution...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

"Virtual Disk Management" is not one thing. Certainly when you include Parallels, which keeps its file formats secret. I assume that going with a closed source proprietary solution was your own choice?

Probably the easiest way to copy the disk is to run Disk2VHD or VMWare Converter from inside the Parallels VM, same as you'd do for a physical PC.