Guest freezes after operation (MacOS host, windows guest)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Axle152595

Guest freezes after operation (MacOS host, windows guest)

Post by Axle152595 »

Hi there,
So I am on a MacOS host with a windows guest. The MacOS host has 4 cores of CPU (intel core i5 3.4 GHz) and 24GB of RAM. My guest windows is Windows XP Professional 32-bit, though this happens in any other versions of windows (i.e. Windows 7 Ultimate). All my VMs have 2 cores of my CPU as well as 4GB of RAM. I am also aware that 32-bit machines do not accept more than 4GB of RAM.
The issue is that after some time, trying to do something, the VM will freeze. Right clicking it on the dock shows "Application not responding". However, neither the host CPU or the guest CPU is at max. The VM is just frozen there. After waiting for 5-10 minutes, it might unfreeze, but then it will freeze again. I am sure that 2 cores and 4GB of RAM on windows xp is enough for it to run, considering people ran it with half a GB of RAM back then, but this also happens on windows Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10.
Applications that have caused this (as well as their respective OS) are listed here:
(On windows xp:) starting 3D Pinball
(On windows xp:) Trying to save downloaded file for AVG Antivirus
(On windows 7:) Trying to download discord (although after many freezes and lots of waiting I did manage to download it)
(On windows 7:) Trying to download google chrome
All other times it happened randomly.
During this freeze, I can still move my mouse in the VM, but it stays in the same icon it was last in when it was frozen. For example, if I was about to click a button, the click mouse icon would take place instead of the pointer icon. I could move the mouse, only it is frozen in that click icon. I also cannot interact with any elements on the screen. I cannot click buttons, move windows, or even shut down from the VM. I have tried anything I see on the forums. Some examples include enabling/disabling Hyper-V, enabling/disabling Host I/O Cache, enabling/disabling 3D acceleration, enabling/disabling audio, giving the host 1 core and the VM 3, giving the VM 1 core and the host 3, etc.

Below I have attached 2 log files of the problem (I tried to save download in windows xp to trigger) in ZIP format.
Thanks,
Alex
Attachments
Windows XP-2021-03-29-11-16-30.log.zip
(20.36 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Windows XP-2021-03-29-12-03-29.log.zip
(29.91 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Axle152595

Re: Guest freezes after operation (MacOS host, windows guest)

Post by Axle152595 »

To confirm, guest additions is installed on all VMs, and I am using the latest version of Virtualbox, 6.1.18