I'm STUCK at this shell page. Please Help!!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Nick1991

I'm STUCK at this shell page. Please Help!!

Post by Nick1991 »

Every time I try to start my Windows 10 machine in order to install Windows I'm met with this page. I don't know what to do please help!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 10.00.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 10.00.15 AM.png (78.11 KiB) Viewed 20802 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: I'm STUCK at this shell page. Please Help!!

Post by scottgus1 »

It appears that your VM is set to use the EFI boot environment, and that it does not find a bootable OS, ISO, or USB device to boot from.

You have to provide the OS to install in the VM.

See section 1 in the manual for more info.

If you had a VM installed and running, and you are now getting this, Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Also, Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose "Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager". In the window that opens, zip the VM's .vbox file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (If you have a Windows host, please make sure all file extensions are shown, so you will be able to see the .vbox extension easier.)
Nick1991

Post by Nick1991 »

Is this the log you wanted?
Attachments
Windows 10-2021-03-26-13-05-46.log
(116.79 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

That's the log, yes. You missed the .vbox file, but there's enough here to go on.

You're using the EFI boot environment, which I am not too skilled with. There is a way to pick the boot device in EFI, but I don't know exactly how to set it. Somehow the VM is beyond the first start where EFI would look for the ISO you have in the VM's CD drive to boot from.

It would be easier for you to use the old-school BIOS boot environment. In the VM's System settings, Motherboard tab, uncheck "Enable EFI". Then BIOS will be used and the more familiar start-up procedure will be used. (BIOS can't boot from USB sticks, but you're using an ISO, which is good.)

Otherwise the VM seems well-assembled.
Nick1991

Post by Nick1991 »

But will I be able to boot windows 10 if I uncheck efi?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In the UEFI Shell, type exit to get to the UEFI Boot Manager, and then select the device or file to boot from. When you install an OS on a virtual hard disk, it will usually put its OS loader before the UEFI Shell in the UEFI configuration, so that subsequent runs automatically boot the newly installed OS.
grahamperrin

EFI: Boot Maintenance Manager: screen recording

Post by grahamperrin »

fth0 wrote:… the UEFI Boot Manager, …
Here's a screen recording of the Boot Maintenance Manager: https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/563825