Nested virtualization causes guru meditation

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
soreisanerd

Nested virtualization causes guru meditation

Post by soreisanerd »

I'm running the latest version of VirtualBox (6.1.18 r142152) on OSX 10.15.3 (Catalina).

I have a VM running Ubuntu 20.04 with a 5.8.0 kernel. It has nested virtualization turned on. However, when I try launching a VM inside it, the VM crashes (guru meditation). I've tried the same with a CentOS VM, same result.

Is nested virtualization expected to work on Intel based Macs?
Last edited by soreisanerd on 12. Mar 2021, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Nested virtualization causes guru meditation

Post by fth0 »

soreisanerd wrote:Is nested virtualization expected to work on Intel based Macs?
In general, yes. Please post a zip file containing the VBox.log files from the 1st and 2nd level VM, and we'll take a look.
soreisanerd

Post by soreisanerd »

Second level VM is kvm, not VirtualBox. Is only VirtualBox supported?
soreisanerd

Post by soreisanerd »

This is the log from the first level vbox.
Attachments
vboxlog.zip
(179.53 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

soreisanerd wrote:Second level VM is kvm, not VirtualBox. Is only VirtualBox supported?
According to 9.33. Nested Virtualization and my own simple tests (qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm), QEMU/KVM is supported. But you have the same Guru Meditation as some other users that tried either an Android emulator or GNS3 inside a Linux VM lately without success. What are you trying to run inside the 2nd level VM? I'd suggest to create a ticket in the Bugtracker.
soreisanerd

Post by soreisanerd »

fth0 wrote:
soreisanerd wrote:Second level VM is kvm, not VirtualBox. Is only VirtualBox supported?
According to 9.33. Nested Virtualization and my own simple tests (qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm), QEMU/KVM is supported..
Can you tell me which OS you're running in your (first level) VM? I've tried both Ubuntu and CentOS with identical results.
fth0 wrote:But you have the same Guru Meditation as some other users that tried either an Android emulator or GNS3 inside a Linux VM lately without success. What are you trying to run inside the 2nd level VM? I'd suggest to create a ticket in the Bugtracker.
It appears what I try to run inside the 2nd level VM doesn't matter. Even trying to boot an empty file causes it to happen, too.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

soreisanerd wrote:Can you tell me which OS you're running in your (first level) VM? I've tried both Ubuntu and CentOS with identical results.
I'm running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 on the host with VirtualBox 6.1.18, and Linux Mint 20 (based on Ubuntu 20.04) in the 1st level VM.
soreisanerd wrote:It appears what I try to run inside the 2nd level VM doesn't matter. Even trying to boot an empty file causes it to happen, too.
Even running only qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm (without a file)? If yes, then please provide another VBox.log file. If you need more, please provide a minimal QEMU command, so that I can try the same.
soreisanerd

Post by soreisanerd »

Even running only qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm (without a file)? If yes, then please provide another VBox.log file. If you need more, please provide a minimal QEMU command, so that I can try the same.
Just "qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm" causes it. Nothing else is needed. Not even a filename.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

If you tried to provide another VBox.log file (as requested), it didn't work. ;)