Virtualbox asking for access to my desktop and access to read my reminders

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mrz777

Virtualbox asking for access to my desktop and access to read my reminders

Post by mrz777 »

I have been using an OS X(Catalina) host and a ubuntu 18 client for about a month now as a development vm. I was able to share my home directory with the image and move files back and forth. When I installed I used the download verification procedures. I just recently updated through the virtual box application itself and just 10 minutes ago Catalina was asking for permissions for VB to access my Desktop folder and my Reminders. I don't understand why this would be necessary for the VM, especially since the home folder is mounted, and since I am unaware of any host side reminder tracking features. Has anyone had this happen? I didn't verify the download for the VB when I updated to the latest version as it was through the application itself. Is there any known issues with Ubuntu 18--the vm running--where it would erroneously--or maliciously--ask for permissions?
I didn't grant the permissions, btw.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Virtualbox asking for access to my desktop and access to read my reminders

Post by multiOS »

It's part of the increased security within MacOS Catalina/Big Sur which now increasingly asks the admin user for permission when software attempts to access a 'new' location on the Mac System. IME so far, this mostly occurs with 'user installed' software, i.e. not as much with apps installed via the AppStore.

With the examples you've mentioned, the most likely cause is probably that a software app on the Ubuntu VM is expecting/attempting to share some host system software content or a host location it hasn't previously accessed. You've already found the most effective 'solution' for unwanted interaction, but if you ever deny access to something you really want to share, such as diary/address book content or a specific location on the host, you'll probably have to 'correct' the permissions in MacOS System Preferences, as access denial is persistent
mrz777

Post by mrz777 »

So, now the sound on my Mac goes out and I need to force quit all of the daemnons, and Keyboard and mouse in vbox is locking at random. This is all after smooth operation prior to installing the last update. Anyone experience this/. It gets stuck on "not found" in grey for an ubuntu 18.04 image. Sometimes by playing around with the screen scaling or resolution it works, but then it just stops allowing keyboard input, or the mouse will work as a captured pointer but not with system integration, and no mouse pointer is displayed, but the screen reacts to the pointer location. any ideas?
mrz777

Post by mrz777 »

Example, I was running ok, briefly and now the mouse won't click in integration mode, and when capturing the mouse, a pointer slowly moves around the screen. This didn't happen before the update