How do I perform a share folder from Mac (host) to Windows98 (guest)?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Lamecoded
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WindowsME

How do I perform a share folder from Mac (host) to Windows98 (guest)?

Post by Lamecoded »

Hi there,
I've gotten Windows 98 emulating smoothly on my iMac (intel chip version). I've seen a video tutorial from Squakenet:

Youtube /watch?v=jRAQabqyQXQ&t=1713s

At 33:50 he shows us (when on a PC) how to link a shared folder in Windows 98 with his Windows 7 (host) linking the file via typing \\ ip number.
I do not know how to do this process on a Mac, after having tried Network and Airdrop to no avail, and you can't just blank the path name and fill in the \\ ip number

I've got the internet working in Windows 98 (or at least a few really old or compatible sites running, but I really need the folder share ability).

My Virtualbox linked folder IP is below (in attached picture), and no it's not accessible by anyone other than me.
Attachments
after typing in ipconfig
after typing in ipconfig
take IP.png (9.22 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How do I perform a share folder from Mac (host) to Windows98 (guest)?

Post by mpack »

You can't share a Mac host folder with a Win98 guest. You can't even share a Windows host folder with a Win98 guest. The Win98 devs could not see 20+ years into the future and anticipate how future network shares would work.

What may be possible is to share a folder from your Win98 guest with the host - that has worked for me in the past, though it's a long time since I tried. If the host allows network backwards compatibility (and it may not, there are glaring security holes and performance issues), then the host should see the Win98 share.

If all you want to do is to get files into the Win98 guest then perhaps you should look at the virtual ISO feature in VirtualBox, or just create an actual ISO using the CD imaging tool of your choice.
Lamecoded
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WindowsME

Post by Lamecoded »

I know it's possible on a WIndows 7 or 10 PC to create a shared folder both in an emulated WIndows 98 vbox and in WIndows 7 or 10, and to link them via a sort of fake ip address because I've done it before. See here at 33:41 onwards on youtube: /watch?v=jRAQabqyQXQ&t=2106s

I have an old, slow Windows 7 laptop, better yet it has a disk drive, I just need to get its screen fixed and I'll be good to go. Was hoping I could get it done on my mac, shame it's not possible.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm quite certain that you have never shared a Windows 10 folder with a Win98 guest. Win98 lacks the ability to do that, just like it lacks the ability to talk to a modern website. You could not have done it with Win7 or XP hosts either.