Cannot boot windows entreprise VDI file my teacher gave me

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Nutellash

Cannot boot windows entreprise VDI file my teacher gave me

Post by Nutellash »

Hello,

I use a MacBook Pro and would like to install a VDI file my teacher gave me. I tried running it, but the machine (Windows 10 entreprise edition with NetBeans) is not booting (I stay on a black screen with a blinking white _). I tried all the correct steps and double checked with my teacher (I correctly used "Use an existing virtual Hard disk file" option). I tried to look in the log files but didn't notice any problems (that I could detect) and my teacher wasn't very helpful and said it might me because I use a Mac. I put the log file as an attachement hoping someone would be able to tell me if I'm the problem, if the VDI is corrupted or else.

Thank You!
Attachments
Windows10_NetBeans-2021-03-09-12-30-13.log
(75.7 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Nutellash

Cannot boot windows entreprise vdi file my teacher gave me

Post by Nutellash »

Hello,

I use a MacBook Pro and would like to install a VDI file my teacher gave me. I tried running it, but the machine (Windows 10 entreprise edition with NetBeans) is not booting (I stay on a black screen with a blinking white _). I tried all the correct steps and double checked with my teacher (I correctly used "Use an existing virtual Hard disk file" option). I tried to look in the log files but didn't notice any problems (that I could detect) and my teacher wasn't very helpful and said it might me because I use a Mac. I put the log file as an attachement hoping someone would be able to tell me if I'm the problem, if the VDI is corrupted or else.

Thank You!
Attachments
Windows10_NetBeans-2021-03-09-12-30-13.log
(75.7 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot boot windows entreprise VDI file my teacher gave me

Post by mpack »

A VDI is not a complete VM, you can't "install" it. VMs should be distributed as a copy of the VM folder or as an OVA (which you then use File|Import...) on.

Also, Windows 10 will require activation. If it was previously activated then that activation will be lost on a new host PC, especially if you did not preserve the .vbox file from the original VM.

Looking at your log, I'm seeing other problems too.
  • The log is truncated: do not copy files from an app that is still running.
  • You allocate 8GB RAM although you only have 6GB available (you should reduce the allocation to 4GB).
  • You only allocate one core, despite having 8 available. You should allocate 2 cores.
  • The extension pack is not installed.
That's all I can get from a shortened log.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot boot windows entreprise vdi file my teacher gave me

Post by scottgus1 »

If all the teacher gave you was the vdi file, as evidenced by this:
Nutellash wrote:I correctly used "Use an existing virtual Hard disk file" option

then all you got was the 'hard disk', not the whole computer. There would have been a .vbox file too, which constitutes the 'rest of the hardware' that goes to make up the whole working VM. Having to hopefully rebuild the 'computer' correctly to match what the installed OS expects can lead to trouble.

To give someone a working VM that is likely to work on another Virtualbox host, the whole VM folder with the .vbox file, the .vdi, and the Logs and Snapshots subfolders, should be copied en masse. Then register the .vbox file in the new Virtualbox, Machine menu, Add command.

Here is the CPU settings:
Host CPU status:
00:00:01.721570 CPUM: Logical host processors: 16 present, 16 max, 16 online, online mask: 000000000000ffff
00:00:01.721573 CPUM: Physical host cores: 8
Guest CPU settings:
00:00:01.286347 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
Windows 10 runs sluggish on one core but absolutely adores 2 cores, and you have plenty of room. Set the VM to 2 cores but not more.

RAM is overcommitted:
00:00:01.184682 Host RAM: 16384MB (16.0GB) total, 6192MB (6.0GB) available
00:00:01.286350 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000200000000 (8 589 934 592, 8 192 MB, 8.0 GB)
Set regular RAM to 4GB instead of 8.

You will also find the VM much more convenient to use once it is hopefully working well if you install Guest Additions in the VM: The VM window's Devices menu, Insert Guest Additions CD Image, then run the installer in the VM's CD drive.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot boot windows entreprise vdi file my teacher gave me

Post by scottgus1 »

Merging your duplicate posts on this topic. Duplicates are a no-no on the forum, since multiple folks may answer it, as has happened above.