"Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object" error message

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Voyager_Rowe

"Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object" error message

Post by Voyager_Rowe »

Hi folks,

I've searched this forum and a few stack forums for this issue but haven't been able to find a solution. I'm running a 2015 Macbook Pro w/ OS10.14.6 and successfully installed VirtualBox v6.1 but when I go to launch it I get the following error message (see below). I have uninstalled and reinstalled four times to no avail. Any guidance on how to troubleshoot this would be great. Cheers!

`Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object.

The application will now terminate.

The reason for this error are most likely wrong permissions of the IPC daemon socket due to an installation problem. Please check the permissions of '/tmp' and '/tmp/.vbox-*-ipc/'

Callee RC: NS_ERROR_SOCKET_FAIL (0xC1F30200)`
paulmc
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows

Re: "Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object" error message

Post by paulmc »

@Voyager_Rowe, there are some related threads in this forum that might be of some help: Good luck!
Pancham

Re: "Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object" error message

Post by Pancham »

Same happened to me after installing VB v6.1.34 on a 2015 Macbook Pro w/ OS10.14.6 Mojave. So as suggested here was to run the VB uninstall tool, then restart MacOs. If you try to reinstall VB and you get the same error, check the permissions of the file system /private/tmp. If not writeable, issue this command -- sudo chmod 1777 /private/tmp

I know that this is an old thread but just trying to help someone if they're running on an older MacOS. This solution worked for me.