Windows 10 VM is "inaccessible." Snapshot error and how do I fix the problem?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 VM is "inaccessible." Snapshot error and how do I fix the problem?

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry we couldn't figure it out!

For backup purposes, a file-copy of the VM's entire folder is the best backup. The disk file for the VM should be in the VM folder along with the .vbox file.
Nick is not my name

Re: Windows 10 VM is "inaccessible." Snapshot error and how do I fix the problem?

Post by Nick is not my name »

Thank You Scottgus1! No worries about resurrecting the file. Is it possible to also back it up on a flash drive or something?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If the flash drive is big enough, that should work. I don't know about the longevity of flash drives, I do my backups to "spinning rust".
Nick is not my name

Post by Nick is not my name »

Thanks again Scottgus1! At this point I'm not sure what I want to do with vbox, but I am having a ball discovering things.....FINALLY! I think it may be to share files back and forth with my host Mac after Mac edits, so my info will always be backed up (on my host) or as a standalone that I need to make backups. If the VM machine has issues then I would have to reinstall the VM which does take time, but the work will be saved to my host. My original intentions was to be able to take advantage of software capabilities that are available for Win and not Mac. I'm hoping that I could go back and forth with the host and be able to polish it on my Mac. I use OBS mostly on vbox, so that is the goal! However, I see many other uses as when I took a powerpoint class many years ago. The class was only available for Win, so I used Vbox to practice at home and it worked! It was on my older Mac to. I had a funny thing happen to me using VB today. I was really happy that I could open a file from my host computer so I opened a sound file. The thing was that I had no idea where it was coming from.LOL. I do know how to go into task manager and am familiar with media player but all I could do was lower the speaker until it was finished (LOL) I haven't even installed itunes or anything either....good problem to have! I willl look into spinning rust. Thanks.