Problem with right mouse button in XP guest on Mac X OS Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
FJP

Problem with right mouse button in XP guest on Mac X OS Host

Post by FJP »

I have been struggling with a strange problem in which a Windows XP guest on a iMac Mac OS X fails to respond to the right mouse button. I have created a clean build and VirtualBox installation but only the left button generates a response. I am confused because I have installed VirtualBox on another identical iMac and both buttons work correctly in the same cloned Windows XP guest!

I would be interested to hear from anyone who can offer a solution.

Frank
JimBushWhack
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win XP on iMac; Win 7 on MacBook pro + bootcamp

Post by JimBushWhack »

I believe you have to simulate the Windows right mouse button within VirtualBox. Hold down the command key at the same time as depressing the left mouse button to do the simulation with the mighty mouse. Alternately, you could use a 2 button mouse as well.

The boot camp windows mouse driver is able to detect a right mouse click from the mighty mouse. But VB does not seem to do this.
FJP

Post by FJP »

I have found an item on the web saying that the right button can be simulated by pressing the special host key and the left button. This works but the special host key has the effect of releasing the mouse from the guest and returning it to the host.

I had hoped to use Virtual box as an alternative to Bootcamp. I will investigate this further because the iMac with this problem does not have Bootcamp installed but the working machine does. Thanks,

Frank
FJP

Post by FJP »

I have installed Bootcamp on the iMac with the right mouse problem but this has not resolved the problem.
FJP

Post by FJP »

I have solved the problem and I will overcome my embarrassment to share it here. I have discovered that by default the iMac is configured to generate only a primary mouse click when either left or right buttons are physically clicked. I simply changed these settings in the preferences of the Host (Mac OS) to allow the right button to generate a secondary click and VirtualBox performed perfectly.
JimBushWhack
Guest OSses: Win XP on iMac; Win 7 on MacBook pro + bootcamp

Post by JimBushWhack »

Cool! I just tried this too and it worked. Now it works the same way that it does when running from boot camp with windows booted. Thanks!
mssbass

Re: Problem with right mouse button in XP guest on Mac X OS Host

Post by mssbass »

I also revised my settings on my host machine and now the right click (for Windows) works! Thankyou! :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem with right mouse button in XP guest on Mac X OS Host

Post by socratis »

This is what I call timeless solutions... 8 years and still standing strong! ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.