VirtualBox on OSX Mojave 10.14.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mike@mhdesign.co.nz

VirtualBox on OSX Mojave 10.14.6

Post by mike@mhdesign.co.nz »

I recently installed Mojave on my MacPro. Now VirtualBox won't run. I've tried to reinstall V5.2 nut I'm gettin a message telling me VirtualBox has failed to install and to contact the developer. I've tried makind a security exception for Oracle, using Finder and Command Line to no avail.

I have no idea what's wrong -- the only log report I've been able to produce tells me nothing behind the obvious -- that Mojave doesn't want to play... Can somebody please advise?
Jan 11 17:16:56 Mikes-Mac-Pro installd[1240]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
Jan 11 17:17:00 Mikes-Mac-Pro installd[1240]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 “An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”.” UserInfo={NSFilePath=./postflight, NSURL=file:///Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”.} {
NSFilePath = “./postflight”;
NSLocalizedDescription = “An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cVirtualBox.pkg\U201d.“;
NSURL = “file:///Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg”;
PKInstallPackageIdentifier = “org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts”;
}
Jan 11 17:17:00 Mikes-Mac-Pro Installer[2366]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Jan 11 17:17:00 Mikes-Mac-Pro Installer[2366]: Displaying ‘Install Failed’ UI.
Jan 11 17:17:00 Mikes-Mac-Pro Installer[2366]: ‘Install Failed’ UI displayed message:‘The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.’.
mike@mhdesign.co.nz

Re: VirtualBox on OSX Mojave 10.14.6

Post by mike@mhdesign.co.nz »

Well, I see a whole year has gone by. Forgot that I'd already posted this, tried to do the whole thing again and guess what... the problem is still there!

I've tried the KEXT workarounds as detailed on https://osxdaily.com/2018/12/31/install ... nel-fails/ -- to no avail...

Can somebody please advise?
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: VirtualBox on OSX Mojave 10.14.6

Post by granada29 »

Please try following the steps in: viewtopic.php?t=101786#p494300

Although these are similar to those in the link you posted, the main difference is the uninstall of VirtualBox to begin with and the cleanup of the staged kexts. Many others have reported success when following these steps.

You should not have to have added the Oracle kext consent while in recovery mode, but I don't believe there is any harm if you have done so.