Retail Snow Leopard Disc (Image) on VB 6.1 on Big Sur 11.1

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ChrisTopherGautamHota
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Retail Snow Leopard Disc (Image) on VB 6.1 on Big Sur 11.1

Post by ChrisTopherGautamHota »

Howdy!

I would like to employ the "Repeat After Me" application (provided on the "Additional Tools for Xcode 9" disk image, in the Utilities folder). Since it is a 32-bit Intel application, it doesn't run under Big Sur 11.1. I have a Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail disc, and have captured an ISO with dd. I downloaded VirtualBox (version 6.1.16 r140961), and have added a new VM, called "Snow Leopard VM." I then configured the following:
  • General: Advanced: Shared Clipboard: Bidirectional
    General: Advanced: Shared Clipboard: Drag'n'Drop: Bidirectional
    System: Motherboard: Boot Order: Unchecked Floppy
    Display: Screen: Video Memory: 128 MB
    Storage: Storage Devices: Controller: SATA: Optical Drive: SATA Port 1: "Snow Leopard.iso"
Then I closed VirtualBox and went to Terminal, typing the following commands:
  • VBoxManage modifyvm "Snow Leopard VM" --cpus 1
    VBoxManage modifyvm "Snow Leopard VM" --vram 128
    VBoxManage modifyvm "Snow Leopard VM" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-5600U"
Yet it stops at the "UEFI Interactive Shell v2.2" boot menu.

Any idea what I'm doing wrongly? I have attached the zipped log file for your perusal.

Thank you for all you do,

~Topher :)
Attachments
Snow Leopard VM-2021-01-09-21-22-21.log.zip
VirtualBox Log
(28.15 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Retail Snow Leopard Disc (Image) on VB 6.1 on Big Sur 11.1

Post by granada29 »

A couple of things to try:

1. Increase number of CPUs to 2
2. Install the Extension Pack (see https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) and enable USB 2.0
ChrisTopherGautamHota

Done, still having the same issue. :(
multiOS
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

I believe Snow Leopard was supported by Apple from 2009-2014, but the Intel Core i7-5600U doesn't seem to have come into production until 2015, so it's possible that the Snow Leopard installer simply doesn't recognise it 'genuine Apple hardware', as it could not have had any knowledge of that future CPU. Apple is pretty efficient at blocking any 'forward compatibility' of its old OSs.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If MultiOS has diagnosed the problem, try one of the CPU profiles mentioned here: viewtopic.php?t=84423#p400761
multiOS
Volunteer
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@scottgus1

Thanks for adding that link. I knew of it, but couldn't track it down. There must be one in there from the right era :)
ChrisTopherGautamHota

Each time I am ensuring VirtualBox is quit, and typing the following commands at the Terminal, and upon restarting VirtualBox and clicking "Start," am receiving the resultant errors (working from the bottom up, as instructed in the linked thread):

VBoxManage modifyvm "Snow Leopard VM" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-6700K"
Same UEFI shell; typing "exit" and pressing enter leads to the boot manager. Selecting the DVD-ROM drive flashes black for a split-second, and returns to the boot manager.

VBoxManage modifyvm "Snow Leopard VM" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-5600U"
Same UEFI shell; typing "exit" and pressing enter leads to the boot manager. Selecting the DVD-ROM drive flashes black for a split-second, and returns to the boot manager.

VBoxManage modifyvm "Snow Leopard VM" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i5-3570"
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Snow Leopard VM. Details: CPUM internal processing error #1. (VERR_CPUM_IPE_1). Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) / Component: ConsoleWrap / Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

VBoxManage modifyvm "Snow Leopard VM" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-3960X"
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Snow Leopard VM. Details: CPUM internal processing error #1. (VERR_CPUM_IPE_1). Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) / Component: ConsoleWrap / Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

VBoxManage modifyvm "Snow Leopard VM" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-2635QM"

"Intel Xeon X5482 3.20GHz"

Ugh!
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

My Snow Leopard VM is working with "Intel Xeon X5482 3.20GHz"
 Edit:  Hmm - I missed that you have already tried that CPU. Sorry about that. 
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Try a new VM, setting Granada29's processor before starting the new install of the OS in the VM. (wild guess...)
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

ChrisTopherGautamHota wrote: I would like to employ the "Repeat After Me" application (provided on the "Additional Tools for Xcode 9" disk image, in the Utilities folder). Since it is a 32-bit Intel application, it doesn't run under Big Sur 11.1.
Please note that 32 bit programs will run on macOS up to and including Mojave.

I had a go at getting this to run.

The 'Repeat After Me' app from Xcode 9 requires High Sierra (macOS 10.13) or later. Others may have had success, but I have been unable to get audio working in a VM from High Sierra onward.

With a Sierra VM (macOS 12) and Auxiliary Tools for Xcode 7 (available from Apple Developer Downloads) I was able to run the application with audio.

However, you may wish to persevere with a Snow Leopard install for other reasons.
paulmc
Guest OSses: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows

Post by paulmc »

Just to add a bit:

@ChrisTopherGautamHota, if {like me} you do have a specific need for an older 10.6 Snow Leopard (SL) VM, I suppose it's possible that VBox isn't happy with your 'dd'-created ISO for some reason {e.g., you could try using Disk Utility instead, and/or creating it from the whole DVD disc rather than just a visible Mac OS X Install volume/partition}. You might also find some more useful discussion in the thread 'Installation fail for SnowLeopard on 10.15.5'. {BTW, in VBox, I believe that SL {& 10.7 Lion} guest VMs are still limited to only 1 CPU.}

Otherwise, as @granada29 indicated, you could instead set up a newer OS guest VM that would still support 32-bit programs, albeit possibly with a warning on first launch. Normally, that would be any before 10.15 Catalina, but I also agree that since you require audio capability, the smaller subset of any before 10.13 High Sierra (HS) could be a better bet {like many others, I too have never managed to get audio working in an HS guest with the the built-in emulated controller(s)}. Although if you do decide on a 10.12 Sierra guest VM as the most recent of that subset, then in VBox {which may still have a problem with Sierra Installers later than v10.12.3} you might need to first make, say, an El Capitan guest VM and then upgrade it to Sierra via the guest's Mac App Store.

Best of luck!
ChrisTopherGautamHota

Thanks to you all! With the help of "granada29" I now have Snow Leopard 10.6.3 installing!

The issue ended up being that I didn't remember where boot.efi was ("/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi" on the Installation DVD). Once I selected that in the Boot Manager (after typing "exit" at the UEFI manager), it started right up! :D
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

@ChrisTopherGautamHota - very glad to hear you got it working. To use more then 1 CPU in the VM you need to move

Code: Select all

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
out of the way.

I mv'd it to my Desktop, then set the number of CPUs to 3.

After booting and verifying the VM to be working, I trashed the .kext.

Or you could just remove the file :)
paulmc
Guest OSses: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows

Post by paulmc »

@ChrisTopherGautamHota, yes, success is always sweet. :-)

{A bit surprising that the DVD/ISO's "Apple standard" EFI bootloader path wasn't automatically detected. However, I just tried a quick test by attaching my SL Install (whole-)disc image [admittedly not strictly an ISO, but rather a UDZO dmg] to one of my SL VMs and starting it up, but then saw the same symptom too, i.e., an unexpected drop into the EFI Shell. I seem to recall that this disc image used to automatically boot before? Stranger yet is that even after detaching that disc image, on startup the SL VM still continued dropping into the EFI Shell, and I ended up having to bring up the EFI "manager" menu (by typing 'exit' at the Shell prompt [or could have kept pressing almost any non-modifier key at VM startup]), then using 'Boot Maintenance Manager' > 'Boot Options' > 'Change Boot Order' to move the 'EFI Internal Shell' entry back to the bottom, below the CD-ROM and Hard Disk entries. Anyway, all's well that ends well.}

Also, @granada29, thanks for the reminder about the CPU power management kext! Actually, I just remembered (for the umpteenth time) that many years ago former moderator @socratis had set up a "summary" thread for OS X guests 'Status of OSX on OSX'. It may be quite a bit out-of-date now, but it did discuss deleting / renaming that particular kext, and might still contain other useful advice for older OS guest VMs.

There are other threads too {esp. over in the 'Mac OS X Guests' forum} that mention additional tweaks for older OS guests. E.g., my two SL guests' system clocks tended to drift far out-of-synch with my host Mac's, and I found a tip in one of those threads about using the VBoxManage tool to apply a VM extra-data setting for timer adjustment {there's also a formal discussion about this in the VBox User Manual, Ch. 9, § '9.11. Fine Tuning Timers and Time Synchronization'}. For my SL guests, I've set 'VBoxInternal/TM/WarpDrivePercentage' to 93, although it's not perfect and in any case that value could be specific to my particular setup.

The VBoxManage tool is also officially used to set the display dimensions for macOS guest VMs, as discussed in the VBox User Manual, Ch. 3, § '3.14.1. Video Modes in EFI'. Oh, and of course these older OS guests can't use (the relatively limited macOS edition of) Guest Additions in general anyway, so usually there'd be no shared clipboard, etc.; however, in various existing threads @granada29 has discussed a screen-sharing workaround for that.