APFS Error Failed to Initialize Volume Keybag

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
byu163

APFS Error Failed to Initialize Volume Keybag

Post by byu163 »

So I can't install macOs in virtualbox. The error Failed to Initialize Volume Keybag err = 2 is not allowing me to install it. Please help me. Also I keep on getting waiting for DSMOS.
Attachments
VBox.png
VBox.png (27.02 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: APFS Error Failed to Initialize Volume Keybag

Post by multiOS »

A quick 'Google' reveals that DSMOS stands for a module whose long-name is Don't Steal Mac OS x (DSMOS). This module is heavily encrypted and you are waiting for it to be un-encypted in the background; and then to do its checks for genuine Mac hardware. If the module has incurred any damage (been corrupted), it will not be able to un-encrypt and so will be unable to proceed; and if you are not running the installer on genuine Mac hardware, or the installer doesn't recognise the hardware as being genuine, installation will not be able to continue.

So without further info., the immediate possibilities seem to be that either the installer is corrupt or that it is unable to detect a genuine Mac (Apple) hardware setup.

What version of MacOS are you attempting install as a VM and what type of installer are you attempting to use? i.e. Is it an ISO and, if so, how was it created? Also, what is the Host OS version and VirtualBox version?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: APFS Error Failed to Initialize Volume Keybag

Post by scottgus1 »

We will need a vbox.log from this VM to help further.

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.