Latest installer fails on macOS 11.1

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
McMara

Latest installer fails on macOS 11.1

Post by McMara »

The latest installer VirtualBox-6.1.16-140961-OSX.dmg fails for me on Big Sur version 11.1. At the end of the installation process the message "The Installation Failed" is presented. The relevant line in the install log is the following:

Code: Select all

2021-01-03 15:46:35-05 mbp-151-gm1 package_script_service[713]: ./postflight: Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Kernel request failed: (libkern/kext) not loadable (reason unspecified) (-603946989)
The SIP is in default mode, enabled:

15:54 user@mbp-151-gm1 ~ $ csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: enabled.
I have also tried to run the uninstaller tool before that, with no luck. Any suggestion to get the installer working?
McMara

Re: Latest installer fails on macOS 11.1

Post by McMara »

Solved. If you are encountering the same problem (which means your system will *NOT* prompt you to allow loading system extensions from the preference pane), the solution could be to do a --clear-staging:

sudo kextcache --clear-staging
The above deleted few .kext inside /Library/StagedExtensions/..., probably leftover of previous old installations. Somehow, files in there prevented the system to prompt the user to "allow" Oracle in Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General.
Tested and confirmed that now all my VMs are running.
So here it is in details my cleanup process:

1. Uninstall VirtualBox with the uninstall tool found in the dmg
2. Restore SIP to default: sudo csrutil clear
3. Reboot
4. Clear staging: sudo kextcache --clear-staging
5. Reboot
6. Install VirtualBox and follow system prompt to allow Oracle
Don S

Post by Don S »

I have the same problem. I followed the solution steps carefully which DID NOT resolve my problem. I need other solutions, please.
Don S

Post by Don S »

6.1.18 resolved the installation problem