Win10 VM on Mac OS Big Sur

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
djs1980

Win10 VM on Mac OS Big Sur

Post by djs1980 »

I installed 6.1.16 r140961 on my Macbook Pro running 11.1. I then installed Windows 10 as its only VM. Now when I start up the VM, my CPU temperature skyrockets from a normal 60-70 deg. C range up to the upper 90s, occasionally over 100. As the specs for the processor say that 100 is bad, I am concerned. Further, when I try to log into Windows, hitting one key evokes multiple characters, rendering my VM unusable. Any thoughts out there? I configured it for 4 CPUs and 8 GB memory (out pf 32). I tried 4, 2 and 1 CPU with no difference. I am attaching the log from one attempted session.

I upgraded to Big Sur not too long ago, and first installed VirtualBox after that. I feel like this is an incompatibility problem, but in looking around, am not seeing anyone else with a similar problem.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Win10 VM on Mac OS Big Sur

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
djs1980

Post by djs1980 »

My latest log file. Thanks.
Attachments
TDS_Win10-VM-2020-12-18-17-15-45.log.zip
(29.99 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

A couple of things you might try - this is how I have my Win10 VM configured so YMMV:

VM Display Settings:
Graphics Controller: VBoxSVGA
Acceleration: disabled

macOS System Preferences
Security & Privacy - Input Monitoring - remove (or disable) VirtualBoxVM
Security & Privacy - Full Disk Access - add VirtualBox (if not there already)
Last edited by granada29 on 24. Dec 2020, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.
djs1980

Post by djs1980 »

Granada29...thanks. That helps a lot. I can now type on the keyboard with it generating single characters so I can actually log on. But I have to put the number of CPUs at 1. If I raise it, the keystroke problem gets worse again. Also, this had no effect on the CPU temperature. It is still going right up to 100 deg. C. So even though I can now use it, Ia am afraid to.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by mpack on 18. Jan 2021, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove reference to deleted posts.
DnLx

Post by DnLx »

I hope you had solved the problem, I am writing here to help someone who has the same problem.

I had the same situation, the solution that has worked for me is to open virtualbox with low resolution:
Open macOS’s Finder -> Applications -> VirtualBox -> Right clicks and select Show Package Contents > Expand the Contents -> Resources -> Find VirtualBox VM -> Right clicks and select Get Info > Checked the Open in Low Resolution.
Complete steps:
mkyong_dotcom_/mac/virtualbox-running-slow-and-lag-on-macos-macbook-pro/