Increasing Screen Resolution From 800x600

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
prayme

Increasing Screen Resolution From 800x600

Post by prayme »

Hello.
I have just installed VB on my Intel Mac Mini and installed Suse 11.0 in VB.
When launch Suse 11.0 I am only able to have a max res of 800x600.
I believe I need to use Guest Additions to be able to increase this resolution.
Can someone explain the exact steps I need to take to be able to run this at a better resolution?
I can find the install Guest Additions and have tried this but nothing seems to happen when the window pops up after selecting Install Guest Additions.
Thank you
PDD

Crappy Screen Resolution

Post by PDD »

Same issue here, I've tried to run SUSE 11.0 and Ubuntu 8.04 as guests on my Intel Mac Mini as host with VirtualBox 2.02. After selecting the "Install Guest Additions" option from VirtualBox it will mount a CD image on the desktop with scripts for i86 and AMD etc. When I run the scripts for i86 it seems to execute successfully but when I reboot no change, still the crappy resolution.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

You have to call the setup as root in a command line.

Please post exact message word by word after calling the installer this way.
D_Mac-9

Setting up screen resolutions

Post by D_Mac-9 »

I've done this several times over the past couple weeks. I've used this site http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/05/2 ... 804-guest/ to allow me to use a full screen Ubuntu & Kubuntu on my MacBook.

First I opened a text file to write down all the screen resolutions I had available. Then I followed his instructions to run the Guest Additions. Today I dragged the virtual CD onto the Terminal program to get it to change where it was looking for the file to run (change directory). Run the file (VBoxAdditions.run), you should see it working, and restart the Guest (Ubuntu, Suse)

In the instructions where he has you changing the Modes, ie 'Modes "1024x768" ', add all of your screen resolutions like "1024x768" "1152x720" "1280x800" on the same line with the quotes and separated by a space (I had the text file open to the side). Then restart the Guest again. When you check the Screen Resolution it should have the new values.

David
(Now if I could only get Shared Folders working...)
PDD

Further Info

Post by PDD »

That worked a treat for me alright, having said that Ive seen it a few times on various posts that there were problems with Ubuntu 8.04 and VirtualBox 1.6 etc. All of these problems are suppose to be solved with VirtualBox 2.0.x and Ubuntu 8.04 is suppose to work flawlesly on the newers but from my experience it is far from seamless.

is there anyone from the VirtualBox dev community that could perhaps comment on this so an future readers of the thread will know for certain.

I am also having trouble with shared folders and Im baffled as to why these setup issues aren't and their solutions/workarounds arn't properly documented in the Wiki / Manuals / Tutorials / How-To section etc. Im sure lots of people involved in distro development would be happy to devote a few minutes to documenting steps for their own favorite distro.

Ive had to do alot of googling to get to the bottom of the basic issue of screen resolution and from why Im seeing now theres no definative answer on wether folder sharing works properly or not. Some people get it working while the same process will result in nothing for another person. To be honest its a bit of a shame as I really like VirtualBox but its easily fixable things like this can really turn people off a product. I may have to go back to Paralells as Virtualbox is just taking up way too much time to get working.