Whenever I switch from host to guest, or guest to host, the guest image freezes for 20 seconds

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
tores

Whenever I switch from host to guest, or guest to host, the guest image freezes for 20 seconds

Post by tores »

Hey,

I've tried googling but I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem.

As the subject says, when I click on anything outside the guest window, the image in the window stops for a while before it resumes. The same happens when I go back and click on anything inside the guest window.
I tried playing a youtube video in the guest, and the audio continues, just not the image. In the preview window, although laggy, the image is continuing.
When I click inside the guest and the image is frozen, the cursor shows that some work is being done.
Finally, I've noticed that if I first click outside the guest (so that it freezes) and wait for the image to continue, I am able to get immediate response when I only hover over the guest window without clicking - I am able to scroll, and buttons etc. react when the cursor is over them. The second I click inside the guest, the image freezes and I have to wait 20 seconds before anything happens.

I have tried both windows 10, and ubuntu 20.
I have played with RAM and CPU and many other settings with no change.
Installing guest additions in windows did nothing. In ubuntu I just tested up til installation prompt without installing.

Hardware
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
Processor: 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I'm starting to think the problem lies not with the guests, but with VirtualBox.

Thank you in advance :)
Attachments
Ubuntu 20-2020-11-22-19-35-15.log.zip
Ubuntu 20 Guest Log
(29.15 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
jeffsw6

Re: Whenever I switch from host to guest, or guest to host, the guest image freezes for 20 seconds

Post by jeffsw6 »

I'm experiencing a similar condition with macOS Big Sur host and Windows 10 guests.

Oddly, the problem seems to have begun this morning. I had been using two different Windows 10 VMs successfully for a few days prior to this. Suddenly, this morning, both exhibit this strange symptom -- an apparent freeze whenever I click the cursor in or out of the guest. Also, getting the VMs to respond to mouse clicks sometimes becomes impossible (so I reboot the guest) and sometimes the guest's mouse cursor no longer moves (so I reboot the guest.) Additionally, if I click in/out of the guest, I can see the Preview image in the VBoxManager continuing to update even while the guest's display is frozen.

Host
Macbook Pro 16" 2019 i9 64GB Radeon 5500M 8GB
macOS 11.0.1 (Big Sur)
VirtualBox 6.1.16 r140961

Guest configuration:
Hyper-V Paravirt 2 CPUs 4096MB RAM 256MB VBoxSVGA no_3D_accel PIIX3 I/O_APIC
USB: OHCI
Pointing Device: USB Tablet
Fresh Windows 10 Pro 2020H2 19042.508 install from Win10_20H2_English_x64.iso
Guest Additions 6.1.16 r140961

Things I've tried; none have affected the problem in any way except as noted:
[*] uninstalled Guest Additions
[*] enabled 3D acceleration w/ VBoxSVGA 256MB
[*] changed graphics controller to VBoxVGA 256MB
[*] change from PIIX3 to ICH9
[*] reinstalled Guest Additions
[*] change to PS/2 mouse -- guest keyboard doesn't work with this configuration but host key works to un-capture
[*] reboot host problem seemed to be fixed for a few minutes, then returned
Attachments
vbox_win10_guest_freezing_on_input_capture.zip
log from a brief run of VM exhibiting problem
(32.79 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
codegen

Re: Whenever I switch from host to guest, or guest to host, the guest image freezes for 20 seconds

Post by codegen »

Similar problem but with Debian 11 Guest.
MacBook Pro 15 inch 2019
2.3GHz, 8 core Intel core i9
32GB memory
Radon Pro 560X 4GB

Virtualbox: Version 6.1.34 r150636 (Qt5.6.3)

ABout a 15second spinning beachball before I can interact with the guest.
Anyone have any ideas?