"Kernel Driver not Installed" - Problem with launching any VM on Big Sur

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
The.OS.Geek
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Pretty much all of them.

"Kernel Driver not Installed" - Problem with launching any VM on Big Sur

Post by The.OS.Geek »

I recently updated my MacBook Air (late 2017) to macOS Big Sur. Since then, I've had this problem with opening any VM at all:

Code: Select all

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT. 
Can anyone tell me why this happens? It seems to be an issue with either kernel extols or drivers, or both.
The.OS.Geek
System: MacBookAir7,2
Host OS: macOS 11 Big Sur
riso

Re: "Kernel Driver not Installed" - Problem with launching any VM on Big Sur

Post by riso »

Hi
try to look into linked topic at the end (page 6), there is probably a solution for your problem.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=98763

r/
Til_Wall

Post by Til_Wall »

Hello,
I think I have the same problem. Have you found a way to fix it?
ajmas
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by ajmas »

Based on my experience, and confirmation here:

- Reinstall VirtualBox
- Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General
- Grant permission to "Oracle America, Inc" - note you may need to click on the padlock first
- Restart

You should be able to launch Virtual Box, but there will still be some extra permissions to grant when you launch your first VM. Given the reputation of VirtualBox, you are safe to grant what it needs.

This is all a side effect of Apple making it a little more challenging to install kernel level drivers and being over zealous about security and privacy.
VB version: 6.x Primary OS: MacOS X 11.0.1 on Intel Mac
HGT

Post by HGT »

Hello ajmas,

which parameters must also be set?
I don't know my way around that much.
It would be great if you could help me.

LG HGT
okiuss
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OSX,LINUX,WINXXX

Post by okiuss »

Hi,
just upgraded to Big Sur. Downloaded latest testbuild. Deinstalled 6.1.16.
Installed 6.1.17 with extension pack. Approved software/extensions in security center on the host.
All VMs are working fine (macOS,Linux,Windows).

br OK
boltzmachine

Post by boltzmachine »

ajmas wrote:
- Reinstall VirtualBox
- Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General
- Grant permission to "Oracle America, Inc" - note you may need to click on the padlock first
- Restart

You should be able to launch Virtual Box, but there will still be some extra permissions to grant when you launch your first VM. Given the reputation of VirtualBox, you are safe to grant what it needs.

This is all a side effect of Apple making it a little more challenging to install kernel level drivers and being over zealous about security and privacy.
However, my mac does not have this permission requested option
kaustabh

Post by kaustabh »

okiuss wrote:Hi,
just upgraded to Big Sur. Downloaded latest testbuild. Deinstalled 6.1.16.
Installed 6.1.17 with extension pack. Approved software/extensions in security center on the host.
All VMs are working fine (macOS,Linux,Windows).

br OK
What do you mean by "Approved software/extensions in security center on the host."? It didn't show up anything in my Mac's Security & Privacy.
Did you downloaded any extension pack separately or is it included in the build?
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

I have the same problem.

I tried to uninstall it but now, when I try to reinstall it again, the installer fails at the end without explaining why and the button to grant permissions to "Oracle America, Inc" no longer appears in the Security and Privacy window...
Attachments
Error after installation
Error after installation
Captura de pantalla 2021-01-19 a las 17.22.04-min.png (34.2 KiB) Viewed 77248 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

kaustabh wrote:Did you downloaded any extension pack separately or is it included in the build?
The Extension Pack is a separate download and a separate EULA.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

This page has an example (of course for a different vendor) of what you should see in System Extensions: http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/display/is ... +for+macOS - it is at the bottom, below the usual "Allow apps downloaded from".

Can't easily create my own screenshot at the moment because it needs to be done only once. The approval can be revoked using the command line, but I have no time to dig out the documentation.

Keep in mind that there is only a limited time after installing kernel extensions to approve them. After a while the text and button disappears again, and only a fresh install of VirtualBox will make them re-appear.
granada29
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

@klaus
I notice from the screenshot that the user also has selected "App Store and identified developers". Is this a requirement?

I have to wonder how many of the people who are having problems installing VirtualBox have not selected that item.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Yes, the "Allow apps downloaded from:" needs to be set to "App Store and identified developers", which to my knowledge is the default on macOS. At least I don't remember ever touching this setting. VirtualBox is not from the App Store, and thus restricting apps to this source will cause trouble. Should be true for any of the uncountable apps which are distributed outside the App Store.

What's also important from my own experience is that one quits the System Preferences completely after clicking on "Approve", because otherwise the decision seems to be not stored yet and the VirtualBox install will fail again and again. Not showing the approval option again.

I wanted to create my own screenshots today which are specifically for VirtualBox, but failed. I cannot make macOS forget that I clicked on "Approve" before. The tool for doing this ("spctl kext-consent") seems to be a complete noop these days (recovery mode or not). It claims that I don't have any such approvals on record, and removing the team ID blindly doesn't make any difference either, because on next VirtualBox install I don't get asked. Seems macOS stores the information elsewhere these days, and someone forgot to tell the world about it.
granada29
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

Thanks for that @klaus

I think the default is 'App Store' these days, but like you I set the option a long time ago and have had no need to change it. I'll make a point of mentioning it from now on.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Granada29 & Klaus, if this is a "sure-fire-ish" method for getting Virtualbox to install on a Mac, it may be good to write up a tutorial, to be made a Sticky on the Mac Hosts forum.