USB problem follow upgrade to 6.1.16

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Will_QM

USB problem follow upgrade to 6.1.16

Post by Will_QM »

Hello,

I am running a windows 10 guest (Win 10 Education, version 1803) on Mac OS host (OS version 10.15.7, MacBook Pro 2017 with 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports). I recently upgraded from 6.1.14 (I think - I install stable releases) to 6.1.16 (including the 6.1.16 extension pack). Following the upgrade, I am unable to attach a USB device to the guest OS in the way I did before.

The USB controller is USB 3.0 (xHCI). When the guest is booted, VirtualBox lists an Apple T1 Control [0101] and Windows (device manager) shows a USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) and an Intel USB eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft).

The device I want to use (and was using successfully before the upgrade to 6.1.16) is an ARM DAPLink CMSIS-DAP [1000] (for connecting to an embedded system development board). There is a USB Device Filter set up for this device. When it is connected, the following changes occur a) two further USB devices are shown in Virtualbox: i) the ARM DAPLink which is shown as attached and ii) an Apple USB-C VGA Multiport Adaptor, which is the adaptor used to connect the USB; this is shown as not attached and does not attach to the guest OS and b) the windows Device Manager shows a USB Composite Device with an error code 10 "This device cannot start".

All the hardware and connections are unchanged from the configuration that worked before the upgrade to 6.1.16.

Can anyone suggest anything that might cause this or any way that I might investigate the problem further?

Thanks in advance.
Will_QM

Re: USB problem follow upgrade to 6.1.16

Post by Will_QM »

This remains a problem with 6.1.26

Any hints as to how I can restore the behaviour to what I enjoyed before would be REALLY appreciated.