Missing keyboard characters

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
macwelshman

Missing keyboard characters

Post by macwelshman »

I'm running Vista on Mac OS X Host.
I need to set up the shared folders using the command line app but I cannot type in the "\". The "\" doesn't appear to be available on my UK Mac keyboard in Vista.

Can someone help with this?

Cheers!
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

With Windows2000 (short:w2k), german keyboard I have 3 different choices to select and insert the backslash:
First, on a german keyboard it is Ctrl-Alt eszet (ß), on an english keyboard it must be ctrl-alt-#, as far as I remember.

Second is the the windows-program charactermap under Programs/Utilities/Systemprograms/Charactermap (? In german it is found under Programme/Zubehör/Systemprogramme/Zeichentabelle), just have a look for Charactermap. You can put a link to it on the desktop, and in it fileproperties you can give it a shortcut. I use shift-ctrl-z for it. In charactermap you can select the backslash and insert it everywhere you need it.

Third method uses the Mac-keyboardmenu. In Systempreferences.Language (? in german Systemeinstellungen.Landeseinstellungen[sorry, but I'm not likely to change my languagesettings everytime]) you will find in the third tab an optionbox saying "show keyboardmenu in the menubar" (? in german Tastaturmenü in Menüleiste zeigen) where you can select the backslash, copy it to the clipboard and insert it in virtualbox, if you have the clipboard enabled in the vm's properties.