enless loop in VM installation

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
edagro
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: win2k

enless loop in VM installation

Post by edagro »

I'm having a lot of trouble installing an OS in a VM, as follows:

Host: VISTA 64-bit, running on Intel e5200 2.5 GHz, 4 G RAM on a Dell board, 348 GB free on HD.

VirtualBox 2.1.4 installed fine.

Initial installation of new VM works fine: Creation of virtual boot drive OK, calling of CD-ROM drive (E: on host) OK, setting boot sequence CD, VHD OK

Installation of Win2k from host CD-ROM drive initially OK.

But then, when setup of new W2K finishes, instead of opening VM in W2K, the setup cycles back to the installation dialog, asking for product key, etc. all over again..

I've tried this several times with two different W2K installation disks and reboots, with the same result.

Can anyone help me get beyond this installation loop? - ed
spearson
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Re: enless loop in VM installation

Post by spearson »

After installation, unmount the iso or take the CD out of your drive. It's continually booting from the CD.
edagro

Post by edagro »

spearson wrote:After installation, unmount the iso or take the CD out of your drive. It's continually booting from the CD.
I don't see that - the install program sends the msg "Press any key to boot from CD...", and I don't. In previous attempts when I booted into the VM before a complete install, the host hung up, and took a *long* time to clear. but I'll try again as you suggest.
edagro

Post by edagro »

spearson wrote:After installation, unmount the iso or take the CD out of your drive. It's continually booting from the CD.
I went through the routine again as you suggested. Found that I had to change the boot order to virtual hard drive CD, and the re-insert the installation CD. I also found that the configure devices setup was reading network info from another machine on my local network, I don't know why. But when I shut off that machine the install went well, except that the network connections from the VM doesn't work. Still, at least now I can open the VM. progress.
edagro

Post by edagro »

Being dissatisfied with the cranky installation under the endless loop, I created a new W2K VM. After messing around too damned much, I discovered the reason for the looping in the VirtuaBox Help file sec. 11.2.2. "Windows 2000 installation failures." The looping all has to do with the race condition discussed there, and pasting the indicated fix into program files\ un\vm virtualbox\ by way of cmd.exe (this for a windows host) indeed woks like a charm. I post this report to spare other W2K antiquarians who don't read help files the time of figuring this out.
mountainman002
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows 2000

Post by mountainman002 »

I have read the help section 11.2.2 and I am still confused about how to fix the continuous loop. I am using a mac as the host. Could someone help me out with further instruction or clarification?
edagro

Post by edagro »

mountainman002 wrote:I have read the help section 11.2.2 and I am still confused about how to fix the continuous loop. I am using a mac as the host. Could someone help me out with further instruction or clarification?
Yeah, there's nothing about MACs in the (Windows version) helpfile. I don't know if MACs have a cmd screen like windows. I hope some MAC user can walk you through the fix!
mountainman002
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows 2000

Post by mountainman002 »

I think I got it figured out, I stumbled onto terminal and entered the command, it took a few tries and a little time and I am not 100% sure how to repeat my actions, but when I was done Windows 2000 setup worked. There still seems to be an issue during installation. About half way through one of the progress bars the VM screen will suddenly begin flashing off and on for a few seconds, when it recovers the graphics are choppy and the mouse doesn't move smooth across the VM screen anymore. While everything else seems to work, it never quite recovers.
edagro

Post by edagro »

mountainman002 wrote:I think I got it figured out, I stumbled onto terminal and entered the command, it took a few tries and a little time and I am not 100% sure how to repeat my actions, but when I was done Windows 2000 setup worked. There still seems to be an issue during installation. About half way through one of the progress bars the VM screen will suddenly begin flashing off and on for a few seconds, when it recovers the graphics are choppy and the mouse doesn't move smooth across the VM screen anymore. While everything else seems to work, it never quite recovers.
I guess terminal on a MAC is what we call cmd for PCs. Good you got there - it's a useful place to do things like enter command strings. The flashing on & off is what's 'sposed to happen, at least in windows on a PC. I don't understand, though, why the graphics and mouse behave badly. Are you using a USB mouse?
shujat

Post by shujat »

Open VM Virtual Box --> right click the machine and select SETTINGS --> in left pane select Storage -->in Centre pane select Windows 2000 server.vdi --> select the box "SOLID-STATE DRIVE".
it will stop the loop problem.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Since Windows 2000 did not support SSDs, I very much doubt that will do anything useful. The way to avoid the continual reboot is as the first reply said: eject the CD.

And also note that the above thread is from 2009. Locking it.