Vbox 7.06 on MacOS Monterey crashes

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Wallaby

Vbox 7.06 on MacOS Monterey crashes

Post by Wallaby »

I successfully transferred a very stable VBox 6.1 instance (containing a Centos 7 guest environment) on MacOS Catalina (on a MacBookPro) to an iMAC running MacOS Monterey 12.6.3. I then upgraded to VBox 7.06 on Monterey. Everything seemed to work OK for a while, but complete crashes of the whole iMac started to occur. Sometimes things will operate for several hours before crashing occurs unexpectedly. These crashes only occur when I'm actually working in the VBox 7.06 environment.
Currently there seems to be no new updates of VBox, and I doubt that upgrading to MacOS Ventura is likely to fix the problem - but I really don't know.
The VBox environment is configured with 8 Gb of memory and and a 60 Gb of storage.
Any relevant knowledge or known workable tips will be welcome.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Vbox 7.06 on MacOS Monterey crashes

Post by granada29 »

Did you run the Uninstall script on the VirtualBox DMG before installing VirtualBox 7.0.6 ? I am wondering if the VirtualBox 6.1.x kexts are still active on your machine.

I suggest you open the VirtualBox DMG, run the Uninstall script and then reboot your machine. After the reboot then reinstall VirtualBox 7.0.6

Uninstall only removes the software - your VMs will not be touched and will still be present after you reinstall.
Wallaby

Post by Wallaby »

Thank you for your input granada29. I did as you suggested and things seemed to be going along quite well. I left the VBox instance live for more than 24 hours - simply accessing the environment when needed. I was just beginning to think that you had solved my problem when CRASH!! Nonetheless, it doesn't seem quite as sensitive as previously. When it crashed this last time I was simply reactivating the VBox window from a minimised state on the MacOS task bar. The Mac recovers automatically after several minutes - nothing seems to get lost. The VBox manager comes up, but I do have to restart the particular VBox I was using. Nothing is lost within the particular VBox either.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

Sounds like progress. It would be a good idea to post a zipped log file of a session that you start, allow to run for couple of minutes and then shutdown cleanly. You should not start the VM from a 'Saved' state so that the full boot of the VM is captured. This log will contain the configuration of your VM and may help in figuring out what is going wrong.

To locate the log file, right-click the VM name in VirtualBox Manager and then choose 'Show in Finder' from the popup menu. Open the Logs folder and right-click VBox.log. Choose 'Compress' from the pop-up menu to create VBox.Log.zip

Add the file as an attachment to a new post in this thread.
junkmale

Post by junkmale »

similar issue encountered. Macos13.3 (22E252) + vbox 7.0.6 + windows 10 guest.

when switching between guest and host, at times vbox crashes. Now temporarily use Remote Desktop to mitigate the issue.