Using VirtualBox 6.1.42 on MacOS Ventura

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
confused23

Using VirtualBox 6.1.42 on MacOS Ventura

Post by confused23 »

Hi,

I am trying to use VirtualBox 6.1.42 on MacOS Ventura (I can't use the newer virtualbox because it's a school project that works on this older build). When I try to run the VM, I get the below error -

The virtual machine 'XYZ' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}

Is there any way to run this VM on MacOS Ventura or do I need to change my system? It's an Intel Mac from mid 2019, if that helps.

TIA.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Using VirtualBox 6.1.42 on MacOS Ventura

Post by granada29 »

Unfortunately VirtualBox 6.1.42 will not run on macOS Ventura because of changes made by Apple in the loading of kernel extensions.

If you are required to use VirtualBox 6.1.42 then you could create a new volume on your Mac (with Disk Utility) and install macOS Monterey on this new volume. That of course depends on how much free disk space you have. Reboot your machine in Monterey and install VirtualBox 6.1.42

Alternatively, you could downgrade your system to Monterey.

This is all a bit beyond the scope of these forums (other than installing/running VirtualBox) but a search with your favourite search engine should find many articles on either downgrading your macOS version, or installing a new OS alongside your existing version.