Running Out of memory

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Jason1867

Running Out of memory

Post by Jason1867 »

Hi,

I am using Virtual Box 7.0.4 on a Mac OS host.

I am using Internal networks to communication between virtual machines.
Out of memory
Out of memory
Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 2.01.59 PM.png (36.99 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
Since upgrading to VBox 7, I have noticed that my Mac warns me that my system is out of memory quite often. if I had to guess, I would guess that there is a memory leak issue in the VBoxIntNetSwitch process.

I have to turn all my VMs off, kill the process, then restart all my VMs approximately once a day.

thanks,
Jason
Jason1867

Re: Running Out of memory

Post by Jason1867 »

I reverted my virtualBox to version 6.1.42

The problem doesnt happen with this version. I will stick with the 6.1 version for a while.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I would guess that there is a memory leak issue in the VBoxIntNetSwitch process.
There's no need to guess. Just provide a zipped VM log and we'll have the facts to work with.
Jason1867

Post by Jason1867 »

I'll see if I can grab one.. Like I said, I reverted my VBox so everything seems to be working now.

Is there something specific you were looking for ?
akira128

Post by akira128 »

Jason1867 wrote: Is there something specific you were looking for ?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that he wanted to look for the cause of the memory leak.
PepperSalsa

Post by PepperSalsa »

I'm running into a similar issue using Whonix and VirtualBox 7.0.6. I filed a bug report here that I unfortunately cannot directly link to. It's virtualbox dot org/ticket/21752.

In summary, there's a memory leak in the VBoxIntNetSwitch process in VirtualBox 7. If two virtual machines are set up to communicate with each other over the internal network, the VBoxIntNetSwitch process is launched when one of the two VMs is launched. Memory/RAM usage for the process increases as downloaded data in either VM increases. The process holds onto this memory, only a tiny amount is released when the VMs are closed, and the closing of the two VMs and VirtualBox does not stop the VBoxIntNetSwitch process. The process has to be Force Quit to release the memory. It could presumably cause the host OS (macOS) to run out of memory if lots of data is downloaded in the VM(s).