VirtualBox 7.0.6 freezes (Host Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7; Guest OS Windows 7)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Jim on Mac Host

VirtualBox 7.0.6 freezes (Host Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7; Guest OS Windows 7)

Post by Jim on Mac Host »

I upgraded to Virtual Box 4.0.6, when I launched the Windows 7 Guest OS it froze before I could log in and disabled the keyboard and mouse
I had to use a Power shutdown, which oddly enabled the mouse and keyboard;
Rebooted and installed Extension Pack 7.0.6a-155176
launched Windows 7 again and was prompted to Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally
Launch Start up repair won't load all files and Start Windows Normally results in a freeze before login.
As long as i stay in the Mac OS Windows, the Keyboard and Mouse function normally.
Picking up a tip from another help request for Ventura and Windows 11
I changed display settings to:
Video Memory: 128 MB
Monitor Count: 2
Controller: VBoxVGA
3D acceleration Off

Sae freezes. Any ideas?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox 7.0.6 freezes (Host Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7; Guest OS Windows 7)

Post by mpack »

Jim on Mac Host wrote:I upgraded to Virtual Box 4.0.6
Really? Given the extension pack version you mention, I'm going to assume 7.0.6.

And why the long obsolete VBoxVGA? For XP maybe, not Win7 or later.
Jim on Mac Host

VirtualBox 7.0.6 is correct in the subject line. Typo in the text.

I was using VBoxSVGA, but I saw another post where the user had a similar problem on Ventura with Windows 11 and switching to VBoxVGA seemed to be a setting that worked even though it show up in the settings as invalid. So I decided to give it a try,
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Jim on Mac Host wrote: I saw another post where the user had a similar problem on Ventura with Windows 11 and switching to VBoxVGA seemed to be a setting that worked
It "works" by effectively disabling 3D acceleration, which there is an explicit setting for if that's what you want.
Jim on Mac Host

3D Acceleration is Off, i.e., not enabled
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

@Jim on Mac Host
My experience attempting to run VirtualBox 7.0.4 on Catalina was not good. The machine is a 2012 Mac Mini and cannot use a more recent version of macOS. VirtualBox overloaded the CPU and caused overheating, with the fans running at full speed. Consequently the kernel task began throttling all other processes in an attempt to reduce the load rendering the whole machine unusable.

I uninstalled VirtualBox 7.0.4 and then installed VirtualBox 6.1.42. After jumping through the hoops to install the kexts, the machine is now happily running 2 headless Linux VMs.

I think you are better off to stick with VirtualBox 6.1.42 using the VBoxSVGA display driver while running macOS Catalina.
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

mpack wrote:
Jim on Mac Host wrote: I saw another post where the user had a similar problem on Ventura with Windows 11 and switching to VBoxVGA seemed to be a setting that worked
It "works" by effectively disabling 3D acceleration, which there is an explicit setting for if that's what you want.
I checked running Windows 7 as a VM under macOS Ventura, VirtualBox 7.0.6 (on a different host than the Mac Mini). It works fine with 3D Acceleration enabled and a VBoxSVGA display driver.

With VirtualBox 7.0.6, VBoxVGA is still the only display driver that does not lockup a Windows 11 VM after the guest additions have been installed. Setting/Unsetting 3D acceleration makes no difference when using VBoxSVGA - the VM still hangs.

This is clearly a bug in either the display driver or in the Guest Additions. Hopefully it will be resolved.
Jim on Mac Host

granada29 wrote: I think you are better off to stick with VirtualBox 6.1.42 using the VBoxSVGA display driver while running macOS Catalina.
Thanks. If I uninstall VirtualBox 7.0.4 and install Virtual 6.1.42 does it recognize the previous installation of Windows 7.

I'll need to read up on installing the kernel extensions.

Jim
Last edited by mpack on 28. Jan 2023, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trim quote
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

Jim on Mac Host wrote: Thanks. If I uninstall VirtualBox 7.0.4 and install Virtual 6.1.42 does it recognize the previous installation of Windows 7.

I'll need to read up on installing the kernel extensions.

Jim
Your VMs should be unaffected - you are changing the software, not purging your data.

See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104589#p509874 for the method I use to install VirtualBox 6.1.x
Jim on Mac Host

granada29 wrote: Your VMs should be unaffected - you are changing the software, not purging your data.
Thanks much.
Last edited by mpack on 28. Jan 2023, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trim excessive quote
Jim on Mac Host

granada29 wrote: Your VMs should be unaffected - you are changing the software, not purging your data.
I may have screwed up. Skipping the convoluted explanation of why I did this .... I thought it would be safe to make a back up, I copied the Windows 7 (64 bit).vdi to my desktop and then deleted it in the folder where I copied it from. Expecting I could copy it back if something went wrong. When I went to uninstall VirtualBox 7, the uninstall refused and I got this error message: “VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

So tried to put the Windows 7 (64 bit).vdi file back from the trash and put back wasn't an option. When I tried to put the file back from my desktop with drag and drop or copy/paste into the Finder directory, it refused. ... I could use a 3rd party installer but that might make my situation worse.

I'm not sure whether my windows installation is there or not. Rather than dig myself I thought I'd ask for a new suggestion ...

Jim
Last edited by mpack on 28. Jan 2023, 19:04, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Trim excessive quote.
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

The uninstall tool is a shell script and is not code-signed - hence Apple complaining. To open and run the uninstall tool you should right-click (or control-click) the icon. You will then be given the option to continue or cancel. You should choose to continue.

I am not sure why copying your vdi file has failed - that suggests an ownership problem. You may have to reset the permissions on your VM folder to make sure it is owned by your user. You can do this in the 'Get Info' window for the folder.

In future, when making a backup of a VM you should copy the entire folder. Your vdi file is only the disk of your VM. The 'motherboard' is the .VBox file and this contains all your VM configuration settings.
Jim on Mac Host

I thought I was toast there for a good while. Freezes, lockups, aborts, reboots, windows repairs ... one of repairs lasted almost 30 minutes .... definitely thought I was doomed at that point. .... But got there. Whew. Thanks for all your help.

Jim
Last edited by mpack on 31. Jan 2023, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trim unnecessary quote.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

@Jim: could you please stop quoting past messages in their entirety? The original message is right there above yours, so your habit just wastes (attention) bandwidth, forcing people to scroll more often. I'm also getting tired of making the corrections! Use the reply button to reply, use the quote button only if you want to comment on a particular passage, and in that case you should delete everything from the quote except that passage.
charles_w

Post by charles_w »

We have been having performance problems with 7 for some time - notably with Mac Mini i3 8Gb. Problems experienced uniformly across 10 test machines.

Test Macs are new out of the box, mostly Catalina or Monterey.

Problems include frequent (after 10-20 min of use) loss of mouse click, freezing for extended periods (20 min +) before control is returned.

On some (not all) of these tests, updating to 7.0.6 causes a blue screen at boot. Not able to install a new copy of windows as startup blue screens or freezes at initial (Setup Starting) installation screen.

Virtual Box 6.1.38 installs and runs fine.