VB 7 - can't connect any USB device

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
kapitainsky

Re: VB 7 - can't connect any USB device

Post by kapitainsky »

This is very good news:) As it looks like VBox today has problem with elevating privileges needed for connecting USB devices. All functionality is there and working. Hopefully it means that we will see it fixed soon.
DukeJockey

Post by DukeJockey »

Also works for me on VB 7.0.2 and Ventura.

Note that when running VirtualBox as root the first time, you will need to set the Default Machine Folder in settings to the folder containing your VMs, e.g. my Windows 10 VM, named "Windows", has its .nvram and .vbox files in /Users/paul/Documents/VirtualBox/Windows, along with its Storage, Shapshots, and Logs directories. The setting for the default folder is then /Users/paul/Documents/VirtualBox.

Add your VM to Root's config by clicking the big yellow + and navigating to the VM's .vbox file, and fire it up. USB devices are now captured just like they used to be.

Also note that when new VM log files are created, they will be owned by root. This may be a minor problem the next time you start up the VM as yourself rather than as root. Just chown the root-owned log files back to yourself, or delete them if you don't care about their contents.
kapitainsky

Post by kapitainsky »

Thank you for detailed explanation and sharing what you found.

Unfortunately for me it has to wait until properly fixed as I normally, for many other reasons, do not use admin account on macOS so can't use sudo.
cmd8086

Post by cmd8086 »

matafaga wrote:this problem also occurs in Ventura.
VBox 7.0.2r154219

VERR_SHARING_VIOLATION does not occur if run as root
sudo virtualbox
Thank you, it worked for me using VirtualBox 7.0.2 (+ Extension Pack) on MacOS Big Sur (11.7.1) by choosing the USB 3.0 controller and running the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo su
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBox &
Geofrog

Post by Geofrog »

I know there wasn't any mention of USB fixes, but I tried it, and there still is no USB fix. Then I made the mistake of trying sudo VirtualBox. Does it work? Yes. Can I load my existing machine without running sudo VirtualBox now? No. I deleted 7.04 and installed 6.1.40, and I cannot load my existing machine. I suppose if I deleted EVERYTHING, including my VM, installed 6.1.40, and imported an older version of my VM, it might work, but that stinks. I'm backing up my VirtualBox VMs folder so I can try it out another day because, at this point, I can NEVER use VirtualBox normally again.

Edit: I uninstalled VirtualBox, its libraries, and the VirtualBox VMs folder, then reinstalled 6.1.40 and reimported my VM. It works as it should now. Is it hard to do? No, just time-consuming and frustrating.
mystie3k

Post by mystie3k »

matafaga wrote:this problem also occurs in Ventura.
VBox 7.0.2r154219

VERR_SHARING_VIOLATION does not occur if run as root
sudo virtualbox

I joined just to say thank you!!!

This was so infuriating.

Mac Mini (intel) running Big Sur headless for HomeAssistant in Virtualbox 6.1
I was tired of the notices to upgrade to Ventura from Big Sur (since I never did Monterrey) so I did, and figured I would take care of the Virtualbox upgrade to 7 at the same time. Big mistake! I spent hours looking into how I would downgrade back to Big Sur to be able to run VirtualBox 6.1.

NOWHERE in any of the upgrades did I see any warnings of "this will not work".

Thanks for your post to give me an easy workaround until this gets worked out.
kapitainsky

Post by kapitainsky »

VB on macOS is an orphan for very long - to be fair it makes sense as macOS users are tiny minority. I am not going to advertise other free alternatives - but if you do not care about using VB virtual machines across other platforms do your own Google.
Francis Crick

Post by Francis Crick »

LGFox wrote:
matafaga wrote: VERR_SHARING_VIOLATION does not occur if run as root
sudo virtualbox
Wow, thanks! I had the same problem. Using `sudo virtualbox` I managed to get USB connected on MacOS Ventura 13.0 with VB 7.0.2.
1. Start VB using `sudo virtualbox`
2. Go to your guest OS settings->Ports->USB and select `USB 3.0 (xHCI)`
3. Then just start your guest OS and USB devices should work. No need to use USB filters.

I'm not sure how safe it is though. :D
Many thanks, it worked out on my Mac.
ShinTK

Post by ShinTK »

Good. I now know that the problem is not unique to me.
But, I guess I'll have to wait for VirtualBox to improve though.
Until then, I'll just have to get by with sudo VirtulBox.
Krunoslav

Post by Krunoslav »

I don't see in changelog of 7.0.8 that this is fixed. Does anyone has any info is USB working on MacOS in 7.0.8 or not? (I mean working as it should, not as root)
LGFox

Post by LGFox »

No, USB still doesn't work.
Checked on VB 7.0.8, MacOS Ventura 13.3.1. Guest OS - WIndows 10. With the latest extension pack and Guest additions installed.
LGFox

Post by LGFox »

I love VirtualBox very much. Maybe one day I will install it back.
However, the problem with USB is very frustrating. I've been waiting for too long to get this issue resolved.

I'm sorry for doing that, but I switched to another virtual machine software. I will not name it here, but I believe it's the second popular product after VirtualBox. They provide free license for non-commercial or personal use (you just have to register online). I used VirtualBox Media Manager to convert my HDD files into a format suitable for that software. I also uninstalled "VB Guest Additions" and installed theirs. It took me 4 hours to convert HDD files, set everything up, update guest OS additions.

Now I still have same old Windows 10 on my MacOS, but it works faster than VB (the software supports NVMe for HDD files), USB works like a charm. I was able to connect my external USB hard drive, flash drive, phones - whatever. I did not reinstall my guest OS - I just converted my VB HDD files into their format.

P.S.
I'm sorry for doing that. VirtualBox will always be my first love. Nothing's gonna change that ❤️❤️❤️
clanktron

Post by clanktron »

Just tested on Monterey with Vbox 7...only works if you start virtualbox with sudo. Still not fixed in 2023, what a joke.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

clanktron wrote:what a joke.
Nobody feels like laughing, true. Only question is, who's the comedian? At present, it appears to be Apple. The devs are aware of the problem and have referred it to Apple and await a reply. We on the forum are users, not the devs, so we can't fix it.
kapitainsky

Post by kapitainsky »

scottgus1 wrote:
clanktron wrote:what a joke.
Nobody feels like laughing, true. Only question is, who's the comedian? At present, it appears to be Apple. The devs are aware of the problem and have referred it to Apple and await a reply. We on the forum are users, not the devs, so we can't fix it.
It is difficult to comment without details. But given that VB alternatives handle USB access without such issues is saying.