NS_ERROR_FAILURE on Mac OS 13 Ventura

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
revdavethomposon

NS_ERROR_FAILURE on Mac OS 13 Ventura

Post by revdavethomposon »

Can't launch any boxes. I've tried a few. VirtualBox is completely bricked.

Error Message:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine ParrotOS.
The virtual machine 'ParrotOS' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
I've tried everything -- Uninstalls, permissions, reinstalls, every listing regarding this error -- still nothing.

I can't even get logs files. I get the following message: "No log files found. Press the Refresh button to rescan the log folder..." (I've even tried giving 777 permission to the Virtualbox folder/contents.)
System Version: macOS 13.0 (22A5331f)
Kernel Version: Darwin 22.1.0
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: NS_ERROR_FAILURE on Mac OS 13 Ventura

Post by multiOS »

You haven't said which version of VirtualBox you have installed, but the 6.1.x series doesn't support Ventura Hosts.

A few users currently testing the initial VirtualBox 7 Beta have reported success with Ventura - see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=106885 and relevant feedback threads for MacOS Hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

"Bricked" implies that (a) it was previously working, and (b) something corrupted it. So is (a) true, and what do you think (b) was?
revdavethomposon

Post by revdavethomposon »

Thank you for the replies. I'm using Virtualbox Version 6.1.38 r153438 (Qt5.6.3).

I didn't realize that Venture 6.1.x wasn't working with Ventura. I'll test VB 7 Beta tonight and let you know how it goes.

And yes, "Bricked" as in (a) it was previously working. I upgraded to Ventura and now matter what OS I'm installing, or how many hacks I try, I'm having no success.
paweldecowski

Post by paweldecowski »

I'll test VB 7 Beta tonight and let you know how it goes.
Well? ;)
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

revdavethomposon wrote: And yes, "Bricked" as in (a) it was previously working. I upgraded to Ventura and now...
A different host OS makes it a different host, so it was not previously working. As mentioned, VirtualBox 6.1.40 does not support your new host.
Tyson

Post by Tyson »

I get the same error my Ventura Host, on all guests which is DOS and Linux. I tried VB 7.04 and 6.1.40. I looked in the system logs and saw some warning/errors so it looks like it might be some "new" security stuff that was implemented in Ventura.

This error is most concerning.

The application with bundle ID org.virtualbox.app.VirtualBoxVM is running setugid(), which is not allowed. Exiting.

and then the following log entries.

Entering exit handler.
Exiting exit handler.

All of these come from the VirtualBoxVM process

Tyson
vboxuser799
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by vboxuser799 »

I just installed Mac 10.13.1 Ventura on my 2018 Mac Mini last evening.

This morning I tried to run the VirtualBox 6.x version I had and got an NS_ERROR_FAILURE message. I found that when installing Ventura, the .vdi file was moved to a folder named 2018Mini/Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/Relocated Items/Security.

So I moved it back to where it should have been (and was in Mojave, the previous operating system): 2018Mini/Macintosh HD/Users/ec4/VirtualBox VMs.

I still got the same error, so I checked the forums. There I found that VirtualBox 6.x is not compatible with Ventura. So I downloaded and installed Version 7.0.4 r154605 (Qt5.15.2), which is what is running now.

I tried to run the VM, and I get the same error. Here's a screenshot:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE_onVB7.0.4
NS_ERROR_FAILURE_onVB7.0.4
VirtualBox7.0.NS_ERROR_FAILURE_500.png (31.11 KiB) Viewed 10235 times
I am not the most techy guy in the world, so if someone would be so kind as to help me figure out and fix this, I'd sure be grateful.

Thank you!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

"File not found" should be easy to figure out. VirtualBox is telling you the folder path it is looking in for the file "Win10Mini.vbox", so go ahead and look there yourself. If the VM path has changed then unregister it (right click, remove, but keep physical files!), then re-register it from the new location (see the "Add" button near the top of your screenshot).
vboxuser799
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by vboxuser799 »

@mpack,

Thank you very much! You were, of course, right.

All I had to do was "Remove" (which, strangely enough, seems to really mean "unregister") and then add. Seems to be working perfectly right now. You were a big help, and I am thankful to you.